you know the RHIC

Anything unrelated to the LHC
draph91

you know the RHIC

Post by draph91 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:07 pm

what energy can it reach up to, I did read it reached energies of 200 GeV but I think that was proton collisions

I'm asking because of NICA: http://nica.jinr.ru/

For Nica, the page said "Heavy ions will be accelerated up to kinetic energy of 4.5 GeV per nucleon, the protons – up to 12.6 GeV. "
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all

dukwon

Re: you know the RHIC

Post by dukwon » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:57 pm

I believe the absolute maximum beam energy is 255 Z GeV where Z is charge of the ion (atomic number for fully ionised nuclei). "Full energy" is 100 GeV per nucleon, but bear in mind Z/A < 1/2 for almost all nuclides.

chelle

Re: you know the RHIC

Post by chelle » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:57 pm

draph91 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:07 pm
what energy can it reach up to, I did read it reached energies of 200 GeV but I think that was proton collisions

I'm asking because of NICA: http://nica.jinr.ru/

For Nica, the page said "Heavy ions will be accelerated up to kinetic energy of 4.5 GeV per nucleon, the protons – up to 12.6 GeV. "
For Russian engineering this is interesting stuff keeping up with the evolutions in technology, but for pure physics research it has little use, physicists are already even wondering if they have trown away the big discoveries, cause they have no clue what they are looking for. :mrgreen:
Has The Large Hadron Collider Accidentally Thrown Away The Evidence For New Physics?

It’s eminently possible that the LHC created new particles, saw evidence of new interactions, and observed and recorded all the signs of new physics. And it’s also possible, due to our ignorance of what we were looking for, we’ve thrown it all away, and will continue to do so. The nightmare scenario — of no new physics beyond the Standard Model — appears to be coming true. But the real nightmare is the very real possibility that the new physics is there, we’ve built the perfect machine to find it, we’ve found it, and we’ll never realize it because of the decisions and assumptions we’ve made. The real nightmare is that we’ve fooled ourselves into believing the Standard Model is right, because we only looked at 0.003% of the data that’s out there. We think we’ve made the smart decision in keeping what we’ve kept, but we can’t be sure. It’s possible that the nightmare is one we’ve unknowingly brought upon ourselves.
It’s a bit like when people believed God and the heavens were above us up in the sky, but when the scientists shot rockets to the Moon and there was no God to see, the church came up with new ideologies to think of ‘God’ to keep the organization going. In the same way the LHC hasn’t found nothing and there is nothing visible with the technology we got, but still we keep on inventing ‘ways of looking at things’ to keep the industry going.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich