this place has gotten quiet

Anything unrelated to the LHC
chelle

Re: this place has gotten quiet

Post by chelle » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:48 am

draph91 wrote:… constant collisions in the LHC might have consequences
Exactly. The LHC is hardly any different than those bushmen, rubbing stuff for an extended period and see what happens. One bushman (scientist) came up with this idea and invented a technique to create fire, probably by accident. Only psychopaths do not fear.
Last edited by chelle on Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:50 am

I'm still here!

Just planning my wedding. 20th of July is the big day and still so much to do lol. :crazy: :happy-jumpyellow:

Hope you are well???
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

draph91

Post by draph91 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:00 pm

chelle wrote:
draph91 wrote:… constant collisions in the LHC might have consequences
Exactly. The LHC is hardly any different than those bushmen, rubbing stuff for an extended period and see what happens. One bushman (scientist) came up with this idea and invented a technique to create fire, probably by accident. Only psychopaths do not fear.
I'm not afraid of it, I've just become indifferent to it, but what you put was very interesting
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all

draph91

Post by draph91 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:00 pm

CharmQuark wrote:I'm still here!

Just planning my wedding. 20th of July is the big day and still so much to do lol. :crazy: :happy-jumpyellow:

Hope you are well???
yep I am
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

chelle

Post by chelle » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:29 pm

draph91 wrote:I'm not afraid of it, I've just become indifferent to it, but what you put was very interesting
Thanks.

But if you are indifferent, than why are you still hanging around this place? It seems to be rather a sign of interest or is has become an unconscious habit … maybe there's still something that keeps you unease.

draph91

Post by draph91 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:01 pm

chelle wrote:
draph91 wrote:I'm not afraid of it, I've just become indifferent to it, but what you put was very interesting
Thanks.

But if you are indifferent, than why are you still hanging around this place? It seems to be rather a sign of interest or is has become an unconscious habit … maybe there's still something that keeps you unease.
eh, could be mostly the first thing

chelle

Post by chelle » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:13 am

draph91 wrote:eh, could be mostly the first thing
You sound rusted … lets turn things around, how and/or why did you ended up at this place, was it fear?

draph91

Post by draph91 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:54 pm

chelle wrote:
draph91 wrote:eh, could be mostly the first thing
You sound rusted … lets turn things around, how and/or why did you ended up at this place, was it fear?
no, curiosity and a need to reassure people

chelle

Post by chelle » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:14 pm

draph91 wrote:… and a need to reassure people
But you know nothing about physics, so there's no point in you reassuring people. :mrgreen:

mfb

Post by mfb » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:16 pm

Oh come on, chelle. Do you really want to transform literally every thread in this forum into a platform for your nonsense? No wonder it is getting quiet. No one wants that apart from you.

It is certainly one of the reasons I rarely look into this forum. The admins don't seem to care, and why should I visit a forum where crackpots are allowed to run wild?

chelle

Post by chelle » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:57 pm

mfb wrote:Do you really want to transform literally every thread in this forum into a platform for your nonsense?

… why should I visit a forum where crackpots are allowed to run wild?
Fair enough, I have thrown in my 'nonsense' … but it was only to put some flesh on my initial argument:
It's because of the omertà in science. Some questions aren't appreciated within the community that could jeopardise the LHC, and so if anyone would like to keep his/her credibility they keep their mouth closed.
This you now have somewhat proven by stating that 'crackpots' shouldn't be 'allowed'.

My combustion argument is a normal logical deduction, as I have explained in my conversation with 'Draph91'. So turning me into a 'crackpot' is pretty blackening, at more 'official' physics forums my argument has been censored and deleted -> not allowed. Praise the lord almighty* that the moderators at this place at least 'allow' me to post my motivation, and that it isn't run by the science-mafia. :mrgreen:

BTW The forum also has a 'non-crackpot' section: 'General topics' with 'The Accelerator' and 'Science' where I hardly mingle.

*Xymox

draph91

Post by draph91 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:19 pm

chelle wrote:
mfb wrote:Do you really want to transform literally every thread in this forum into a platform for your nonsense?

… why should I visit a forum where crackpots are allowed to run wild?
Fair enough, I have thrown in my 'nonsense' … but it was only to put some flesh on my initial argument:
It's because of the omertà in science. Some questions aren't appreciated within the community that could jeopardise the LHC, and so if anyone would like to keep his/her credibility they keep their mouth closed.
This you now have somewhat proven by stating that 'crackpots' shouldn't be 'allowed'.

My combustion argument is a normal logical deduction, as I have explained in my conversation with 'Draph91'. So turning me into a 'crackpot' is pretty blackening, at more 'official' physics forums my argument has been censored and deleted -> not allowed. Praise the lord almighty* that the moderators at this place at least 'allow' me to post my motivation, and that it isn't run by the science-mafia. :mrgreen:

BTW The forum also has a 'non-crackpot' section: 'General topics' with 'The Accelerator' and 'Science' where I hardly mingle.

*Xymox
hey Chelle, are you male or female, just wanna get my pronouns right

chelle

Post by chelle » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:44 pm

I'm male, what are you?

Btw you should learn to cut out content when you reply/quote, it would make the thread much lighter.

draph91

Post by draph91 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:04 pm

chelle wrote:I'm male, what are you?

Btw you should learn to cut out content when you reply/quote, it would make the thread much lighter.
male, and got it

in your defense, I found it interesting

chelle

Post by chelle » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:13 pm

Thanks.

You know an other interesting thing to take into account are referential explosions or blasts.

Take a 'normal' bomb or a meteorite smashing into Earth, here the temperatures get up to a few 10k degrees, which is nowhere near the millions of degrees needed for nuclear reactions.

Now looking at Cosmic rays, these are individual protons or heavier atomic nuclei, which are accelerated to sufficiently high energies (typically billions of electron volts) to interact with other nuclei directly, the same goes for the particles at LHC.

So whatever is flying around in the Universe at high speeds with lots of energies are:

A. macroscopic objects meteorites/crystals/molecules/atoms who are limited to typical solar-system orbital speeds (a few tens of kilometers per second). They are necessarily electrically neutral. Therefore, they can only be accelerated by gravitational forces (orbital slingshot) which limits you to more or less the escape velocity of galaxies, a few hundred km/s at most.

B. Cosmic rays which are individual protons or atomic nuclei. They can be accelerated by shock waves (e.g., during a supernova) and by electric and magnetic fields (LHC).

The conclusion here is that as a reference in nature, Macroscopic objects have a high density, but not a super high velocity to touch and break nuclei; on the other hand Cosmic rays do have a lot of energy to smash nuclei, but don't have the high density as they are shaken apart during a Supernova's shockwave. But at the LHC we do have the high energy and also the high density, which makes it something very unique within the Universe.