Other ways our world might come to an end

Discussion of the end of the world brought about by ultra high energy colliders.
RonnyV

Other ways our world might come to an end

Post by RonnyV » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:31 pm

Learn about other ways our world might end ...

http://www.ted.com/talks/stephen_petran ... eddon.html

Stephen

Re: Other ways our world might come to an end

Post by Stephen » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:41 pm

I have a few scenarios besides the LHC that sometimes scare me -
1. Our false vacuum tunneling to the true vacuum, destroying everyone.
2. Yellowstone erupting.
3. Gamma rays from supernova that's close enough to us.
4. Nuclear war.
5. Asteroid.
6. Some sort of ancient apocalyptic prophecy turning out to be true.

salistala

Post by salistala » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:45 am

Admittedly my entire adolescence was consumed with a fear of "The Day After...", with all the associated superstitions. I have since I grown up and have become increasingly jaded towards the long-term future of the species. There are times where the thought of a giant rock from space hitting the reset button in the middle of the Pacific is mildly soothing.

If we were to somehow cause our own demise through too much scientific meddling then so be it, we were forewarned. However I have been marginally interested in the doomsday theories of the conspiracy sect, but am not convinced that this can happen through the LHC. It is with this interest that I am here to read whatever material is available proving/disproving the tin-hats.

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Sun May 02, 2010 4:21 am

How about destruction of the oceanic plankton that supplies the majority of the world's oxygen?
Caused by poisoning the oceans........nah don't even think about it...

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Sun May 02, 2010 12:13 pm

I think the best way to avoid at least the total extiction of the humen race arlyer or later would be to devercify to other planets or better even other solarsystems as soon as possible.
Nevertheless any of the unavoidable scenarios which might kill all the live on one planet still woud be a very sad thing.
bye

chriwi

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Sun May 02, 2010 1:47 pm

In my opinion humans are working hard on becoming extinct just by "being humane" which in fact has effect of removing most if not all of natural selection which is behind evolution of all living creatures. Among others, people with the worst genetic diseases are "saved" and left to spread their genetic malfunction - and their offsprings need to be "saved" again and again. And that's just one example.
Yes, an organism which lives in an environment that doesn't change doesn't need to evolve. But we're doing it wrong, because instead of accepting that our envoronment is changing we're trying to take control of it. In order to let us freely stop our own evolution we're trying to stop evolution of the whole world.
IMO it's insane a bit. We cannot succeed.

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sun May 02, 2010 3:03 pm

I still think the best way is the sun going out :thumbup:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Tue May 04, 2010 8:08 am

Sometimes, when I'm gazing into the night sky, I'd swear I can see a constellation I call "The off switch"...
:lol:

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Tue May 04, 2010 2:25 pm

mrgumby wrote:Sometimes, when I'm gazing into the night sky, I'd swear I can see a constellation I call "The off switch"...
:lol:

hahaha :think: kinda loving that :D I was thinking about another one this morning............a huge tidal wave that just wipes us all out :thumbup:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

Mailo

Post by Mailo » Tue May 04, 2010 7:30 pm

If you need food for thought on the subject, check out this link.

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Tue May 04, 2010 7:52 pm

thanks mailo :thumbup:

what's your thoughts on the subject?

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Wed May 05, 2010 7:53 am

The entire universe is actually being dreamed by a being in Arcturus. When he wakes, we (and he) will cease to exist.
Because he is a figment of his own imagination. :crazy:

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Wed May 05, 2010 8:56 am

Mailo wrote:If you need food for thought on the subject, check out this link.
Nice reading, I really enjoyed that. I wonder if there's similar material concentrating on "just" extinction of all life on earth...
But keeping in mind bacteria were found up to two kilometers under earth surface, it might be about the same, maybe even harder.

Mailo

Post by Mailo » Wed May 05, 2010 3:53 pm

CharmQuark wrote:thanks mailo :thumbup:

what's your thoughts on the subject?
On the possibility of destruction of the whole planet? To quote one of my favorite sayings "Slim to none, and Slim has just left town." ;)
Seriously, the chances of a natural event obliterating a planet need to come up against the fact that our solar system still exists after billions of years. I don't know if there is a possibility that the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter actually ever were a planet, still really long chances.

As for mankind managing to destroy the planet? Not 'till hell freezes over. Or heaven, which according to the Bible is much hotter than hell.
For the forseeable future, there's nothing mankind can do that doesn't already happen somewhere in the universe.

Now, mankind making the planet uninhabitable for ... mankind, that's a whole different kettle of fish. Already possible today, maybe already irreversibly underway.

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Wed May 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Dunno sometimes i think it would just be better if the world did end and we started all over again, maybe next time round we will get it right ;)