Mental illness

Anything can be discussed, tempers may flare.
This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site.

Moderator: CharmQuark

Forum rules
Any controversial topic can be discussed. Freedom of expression is encouraged. The scientific validity of things posted in this forum may stray from reality quite wildly and the reader is advised to keep that in mind. Please refrain from bad language and DO NOT get overly abusive with other members. You MUST post in English. It is OK to have fiercely intense debate. This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site. The views here do not represent the forum's views or my views in any way. It is meant as a place to debate or discuss subjects that may create heated debate. Almost no moderation will occur in this forum at all.
Kasuha

Re: Mental illness

Post by Kasuha » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:02 pm

Chelle wrote:Who would that somebody experienced be? That person doesn't exist, the lhc is simply the result of an ongoing race, and everyone is focused on ...
This is just product of your wild imagination. You have NO IDEA how many security issues were considered and addressed in construction of LHC, coming from extremely small all the way to extremely big.
Stop dreaming and start reading, that's all I can tell you.

chelle

Post by chelle » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:19 pm

Mailo wrote:I'm speechless. Rarely have I read such a complete mixup of totally unrelated yet still mostly false claims, starting with the first sentence.
The only thing I'm saying up above is that things go from hot to cold and visa versa, what is so false about that? Isn't BEC cooled by putting energy in them, or by pumping phonons into matter?
Mailo wrote:By the way, I wonder why you keep going on about the intensity of the beams. There is absolutely no difference between 1000000 seconds of reactions at a rate of 1/s, or 1 second of reactions at a rate of 1000000/s, or 0.000001s of reactions at a rate of 100000000000/s. There is no "buildup" of heat, energy or anything else. Thus, the interaction of cosmic rays with the atmosphere, the surface of the moon or even the sun is a pretty good analogon to the reactions happening at the LHC.
Intensity goes along with frequency, what do you think a high pitch tone is, remember my breaking glass argument, nobody commented on it, why?
Kasuha wrote:This is just product of your wild imagination.
That I will not contest :)
Kasuha wrote:You have NO IDEA how many security issues were considered and addressed in construction of LHC, coming from extremely small all the way to extremely big.
Stop dreaming and start reading, that's all I can tell you.
I read this on the site of the register: Boffinry bitchslap brouhaha: Higgs and Hawking head to head
I didn't read anything in the LSAG-Report about the possibility of a Combustion process not even anything about BEC, it's al about micro-black-holes or stranglets, not a single thing of an event that includes multiple factors what combustion is, or was I dreaming when I went through those pages?
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

Mailo

Post by Mailo » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:45 pm

Chelle wrote:The only thing I'm saying up above is that things go from hot to cold and visa versa, what is so false about that? Isn't BEC cooled by putting energy in them, or by pumping phonons into matter?
No, and no. Wouldn't matter if it was though, because unless hell freezes over, there's no BEC in the LHC. Even then probably not.
Chelle wrote:Intensity goes along with frequency, what do you think a high pitch tone is, remember my breaking glass argument, nobody commented on it, why?
Maybe noone commented because it is totally irrelevant to the subject at hand, namely particle collisions? There is no connection whatsoever. Yes, a tone (sound, aka vibration of air molecules) can be quantified by intensity and frequency. Great. Very relevant if you're trying to reduce noise or conduct an orchestra. NOT when discussing the LHC. Please, please, PLEASE stop making these irrelevant, absurd and totally inappropriate (yet hilarious) analogies. You don't really do yourself any favors with them, they make you totally unbelievable.
Chelle wrote:I read this on the site of the register: Boffinry bitchslap brouhaha: Higgs and Hawking head to head
I didn't read anything in the LSAG-Report about the possibility of a Combustion process not even anything about BEC, it's al about micro-black-holes or stranglets, not a single thing of an event that includes multiple factors what combustion is, or was I dreaming when I went through those pages?
Strangely enough you also did not read anything about sudden and total gravity failure, chemical reactions, dangers of loud noise or flu infections. Nor about attacking aliens, invisible pink uniforms, flying spaghetti monsters or the tooth fairy. Want to guess why?

chelle

Post by chelle » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:14 pm

Mailo wrote:
Chelle wrote:Intensity goes along with frequency, what do you think a high pitch tone is, remember my breaking glass argument, nobody commented on it, why?
Maybe noone commented because it is totally irrelevant to the subject at hand, namely particle collisions? There is no connection whatsoever. Yes, a tone (sound, aka vibration of air molecules) can be quantified by intensity and frequency. Great. Very relevant if you're trying to reduce noise or conduct an orchestra. NOT when discussing the LHC.
Phonon: In physics, a phonon is a quasiparticle characterized by the quantization of the modes of lattice vibrations of periodic, elastic crystal structures of solids.
The study of phonons is an important part of solid state physics, because phonons play a major role in many of the physical properties of solids, including a material's thermal and electrical conductivities.
A phonon is a quantum mechanical description of a special type of vibrational motion, known as normal modes in classical mechanics, in which a lattice uniformly oscillates at the same frequency.

Now where do the phonons go during collisions, remember BEC isn't created in an instant it takes time and a lot of phonons & photons, so the higher the frequency the more is pumped into the environment.
Mailo wrote:Strangely enough you also did not read anything about sudden and total gravity failure, chemical reactions, dangers of loud noise or flu infections. Nor about attacking aliens, invisible pink uniforms, flying spaghetti monsters or the tooth fairy. Want to guess why?
Because the people who where making up the report lacked the imagination that a combustion process might happen, but they sure were creative enough to come up with black holes, and come up with the idea that they would vaporize, now where does the vapor go? It's like yeah lets build a big factory but forget that the detritus we release in the river is poisonous, it took us a long time to figure that out, or fertilizer streaming into the sea causing a plagues of algae, want to guess why, I'll tell you because people didn't think of the consequences on a more global scale.

tswsl1989
LHCPortal Guru

Post by tswsl1989 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:53 pm

Chelle wrote:Now where do the phonons go during collisions, remember BEC isn't created in an instant it takes time and a lot of phonons & photons, so the higher the frequency the more is pumped into the environment.
You have no lattice in which the phonons can exist. So they don't "go" anywhere. You don't have a structure through which vibrational modes can be transmitted as phonons.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:37 pm

tswsl1989 wrote: You have no lattice in which the phonons can exist. So they don't "go" anywhere. You don't have a structure through which vibrational modes can be transmitted as phonons.
Unless you agree with Ivan when he says a magnetized vacuum lattice is formed in the collisions.

tswsl1989
LHCPortal Guru

Post by tswsl1989 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:41 pm

I believe my opinions of Ivans theories are a matter of record.

chelle

Post by chelle » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:19 am

tswsl1989 wrote:
Chelle wrote:Now where do the phonons go during collisions, remember BEC isn't created in an instant it takes time and a lot of phonons & photons, so the higher the frequency the more is pumped into the environment.
You have no lattice in which the phonons can exist. So they don't "go" anywhere. You don't have a structure through which vibrational modes can be transmitted as phonons.
As I already mentioned (link):

The idea comes directly from the physics of solids. Instead of a field spread throughout all space a solid contains a lattice of positively charged crystal atoms. When an electron moves through the lattice the atoms are attracted to it, causing the electron's effective mass to be as much as 40 times bigger than the mass of a free electron. The postulated Higgs field in the vacuum is a sort of hypothetical lattice which fills our Universe. http://www.hep.yorku.ca/what_is_higgs.html

Mailo

Post by Mailo » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:21 am

Chelle wrote:As I already mentioned (link):

The idea comes directly from the physics of solids. Instead of a field spread throughout all space a solid contains a lattice of positively charged crystal atoms. When an electron moves through the lattice the atoms are attracted to it, causing the electron's effective mass to be as much as 40 times bigger than the mass of a free electron. The postulated Higgs field in the vacuum is a sort of hypothetical lattice which fills our Universe. http://www.hep.yorku.ca/what_is_higgs.html
You're doing it again. Just because both sentences contain the english word "lattice" does not mean that all properties of the first kind of lattice also apply to the second kind.

It's the same if I claim that this plane must have clearly marked exits, an autopilot and flotation devices under the seats, because after all it is a plane, and all planes must conform to aircraft security regulations.

There won't be any phonons in particle collisions, because phonons are mechanical vibrations in solid matter. No solid matter at the interaction point, no mechanical vibrations, ergo no phonons.

chelle

Post by chelle » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:45 am

Mailo wrote:
Chelle wrote:The idea comes directly from the physics of solids. Instead of a field spread throughout all space a solid contains a lattice of positively charged crystal atoms. When an electron moves through the lattice the atoms are attracted to it, causing the electron's effective mass to be as much as 40 times bigger than the mass of a free electron. The postulated Higgs field in the vacuum is a sort of hypothetical lattice which fills our Universe. http://www.hep.yorku.ca/what_is_higgs.html
There won't be any phonons in particle collisions, because phonons are mechanical vibrations in solid matter. No solid matter at the interaction point, no mechanical vibrations, ergo no phonons.
Check the Higgs Mechanism:
The simplest realization of the Higgs mechanism in the standard model requires an extra Higgs field which interacts with the gauge fields, and which has a nonzero value in its lowest energy state, a vacuum expectation value. This means that all of space is filled with the background Higgs field, the so-called Higgs condensate. Interaction with this background field changes the low-energy spectrum of the gauge fields and the gauge bosons become massive.

Mailo

Post by Mailo » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:35 am

I did check it, and nowhere does it say this leads to phonons which create a BEC. All it does is try to explain why particles have a mass. That only comes from your jumping to conclusions based on english words rather than the physics described by those words.

chelle

Post by chelle » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:48 am

Mailo wrote:I did check it, and nowhere does it say this leads to phonons which create a BEC. All it does is try to explain why particles have a mass. That only comes from your jumping to conclusions based on english words rather than the physics described by those words.
That article describes that if you start talking about the Higgs that there is automatically a Higgs field, which means a sea of particles through which phonon-like activity can be passed on. So there is more to particle collisions than seeing just the 2 particles hit each other and distribute an array of secondary particles. This means like in the windmill analogy that surrounding nuclei can become more charged or more cooled, so there is a tension build up, or to use Kasuha's analogy of a forest, there is a hot wind blowing and drying out the trees so they can aluminate quickly like a match. Remember we are just moving matter in a large sand barge, and a vacuum is only relative to what you can suck out, if the meshes are to big, particles can just flow through, so there is a lattice through wich phonons can move.

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:55 am

This week is actually Mental illness week, people suffer in silence most of the time because they think others will mock them for the way they are feeling, it's a hard thing to deal with at the best of times, Depression is a big problem for lots of people then you have MPD and PTSD, people who just ain't steady in the mind it's all over the place really, I have suffered for years in silence i got help at one point but only helps for a little while better to deal with the problem head on talk things out see if you can sort them without medication can this be done sure it can, some people go to therapy does this help? in my case no it didn't i found it a waste of time, but i know people who have been and it has helped them totally, people say if you feeling down cry what happens if you can't cry? what happens if you think it a sign of weakness? you're kinda stuck then ain't ya? where do you go after that? friends? family? lover? hope that someone out there is just willing to listen to you not help or anything or even give advice but just to listen.

Anyways am done :thumbup:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:29 am

I've been taking anti-depression meds for 10 years.....You would have to fight me to take them away. I've tried the counseling etc but nothing beats the meds. I've even tried giving them away slowly..........then I find myself staring at a wall and crying for no reason......which is why I got the meds in the 1st place. Sometimes things just build up and you need chemical help to keep things on an even keel.
With the meds I'm capable of running a 300 pc network. Without them.................nothing

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:57 am

When i first when to the doctor's with mine it was just over a year after my dad died, I took this badly for a lot of reason mainly guilt of not saying goodbye but thats a diffrent story, the doctor actually laughed at me when i told him i was depressed he said Em you ain't depressed you are just sad I though to myself at that point how can he tell what i am feeling? the anti-depresents he put me on was wonderful really started to feel happy with them and nice and chilled, i ended up being on the for just 3 and half years, then he sent me to councelling and she told me that the reason i was unhappy was because i was in a bad relationship at the time, told me to go and sort it out, either work through it or tell him where to go, when i had done that go back and see her again, I never did go back, the mental state i am at now is horrible and i really think i should go to the doctor again....... I think with a lot of people they think that asking for help is a sign of weakness this saddens me so much i think it's because people don't understand what depression and most people are just scared of the word.

Mrgumby :) I am so pleased that your meds work :D maybe i should take the next again and see what happens this time myself i find that if i ask for help i am weak because i think i can deal with things on my own, think is i really can't :oops:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.