Open letter to MagneticTrap

Anything can be discussed, tempers may flare.
This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site.

Moderator: CharmQuark

Forum rules
Any controversial topic can be discussed. Freedom of expression is encouraged. The scientific validity of things posted in this forum may stray from reality quite wildly and the reader is advised to keep that in mind. Please refrain from bad language and DO NOT get overly abusive with other members. You MUST post in English. It is OK to have fiercely intense debate. This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site. The views here do not represent the forum's views or my views in any way. It is meant as a place to debate or discuss subjects that may create heated debate. Almost no moderation will occur in this forum at all.
Tau
LHCPortal Guru

Open letter to MagneticTrap

Post by Tau » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:45 pm

Dear Ivan,
I have no objection against people who think they've reinvented particle physics, or proved the Riemann hypothesis, or whatever.
But in your case, you are scaring people away with the figments of your imagination.
Could you please stop posting scary nonsense on this forum?
Regular nonsense is fine with me; but scaring away people who cannot recognise these lunatic ramblings of a sick mind for what they are is too much for me.
For people who have doubts about Ivan, he earns at least 301 "crackpot points": viewtopic.php?f=14&t=326&p=2609&hilit=crackpot#p2609
- Tau

Xymox
Site Admin

Re: Open letter to MagneticTrap

Post by Xymox » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:53 pm

Wow... Go Tau !

Go smack Ivan ! :violence-stickwhack: :violence-smack:

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:56 pm

What do you think about his latest claims regarding quark gluon plasma? That and the link he brought regarding the court lawsuits are kind of scary. :sad-pacing:

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:56 pm

You realize that soon his whole mag trap of said devil will be disproven by a years worth of high luminosity 7TeV collisions...

Soon Ivan will have to admit he might have been wrong all along...

This will be a fun year..

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:58 pm

Do I really gotta read it ?

If it was something important then it would make headline news. CERN would take note.

Im sorry but it just cant be well Founded science. I say that without even bothering to look. Im sure the courts will prove out my point.

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:13 pm

I suffered through reading 5 pages of Ivan thread. Q G Plasma is no big deal. I dont see a issue. The lawsuit shutting down the LHC is interesting, but as the article states it would be hard to get a judge to really do that.

As I said above, I just dont see a issue here and I am really looking Forward to a years worth of 7TeV collision and then really looking forward to lead ion collisions.

I predict by the time we are done, Ivan will have a lot to answer for. It will be time for him to admit there might be a issue with his science. I am looking forward to this..

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:16 pm

I am amazed that Ivan has not mentioned this news story...

Surely this must be LHC related...

http://www.news.com.au/world/believe-it ... 5831725892

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:28 pm

But the article does have a point by pointing out the safety arguments which were proven to be incorrect. It kind of scared me for a bit when it started talking about scientists being biased etc., even if not on purpose. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

So you're sure this plasma is not dangerous because it was liquid and not gas like expected?

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:56 pm

Way to Go Tau!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

I like this very much :clap:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:25 pm

@stephen:

as long as we assume teh laws of "confinement" and of "confirmation of energy" are true there is no way that a small amount of quark-gluon-plasma can transform a larger ammount of Protons and/or Neutrons also to quark-gluon-plasma without adding Energy, so this article just doesn't make sence to me.
A chainreaction could only be possible if the Energy bound in the Gluons could be freed, leaving free Quarks which would violate confinement.
bye

chriwi

Allan

Post by Allan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:47 pm

Xymox wrote:You realize that soon his whole mag trap of said devil will be disproven by a years worth of high luminosity 7TeV collisions...

Soon Ivan will have to admit he might have been wrong all along...

This will be a fun year..
Hi Xymox;

If you truly believe this, I have some prime swampland to sell you. It is only underwater part of the day.

I think Ivan psychotic fixation is so great that nothing and I do mean nothing with ever convince him otherwise. He belongs in a padded cell especially after his terrorist comments about bombing LHC.

Allan

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:49 pm

Has the confinement rule ever been confirmed? I mean, is it possible we simply haven't used enough force to separate between the quarks and their partners? Also, is it possible the energy of the plasma itself is sufficient to cause this sort of chain reaction? I don't completely understand this subject.

tswsl1989
LHCPortal Guru

Post by tswsl1989 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:04 pm

As I understand it, when we have probed protons, neutrons etc with enough force to seperate the quarks under a simple model of their behaviour (i.e ignoring the confinement model), they haven't seperated. Probing them with energy greater than 2M_quark can lead to production of quark/antiquark pair though.

Not hugely happy with the way I've worded that, but I think it gets the point across.

If I get time over the next few days/week then I'll try and find a suitable reference for this.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:48 am

So basically the experimental data so far rules it out, but is there any possibility that this energy was still too low, and not made such a separation completely impossible?

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:33 am

No result of anything what never has been done before can completely be ruled out at all.
There is still the slight chance that a certain combination of words (a spell) can create things from nothing, there is really only statistical proof that it doesn't work but no real experimental data which proofs that it is impossible.
Up to now it appears that if you try to seperate a Quark from its partners the energyyou havec to invest for doing that is allwasys greater than 2 times the rest mass energy of the Quark and always results in an Quark/Antiquark-pair popping up from nothing one staying with the Quark and one staying with the rest of the particle where you try to remove the Quark from. So all energy which could be used to seperate other Quarks always goes into the creation of new Quark/Antiquark-Pairs and not into a chainreaction seperating other Quarks.
But there is always a chance of symetriebreaking somewhre along the line to higher energies and such symetriebreaking or its outcome cannot be predicted by any theory or statistical data.
bye

chriwi