** POSSIBLE DISRUPTION OF SERVICE **

The place to discuss the LHC. Commissioning, operation, issues, events ....
Xymox
Site Admin

** POSSIBLE DISRUPTION OF SERVICE **

Post by Xymox » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:17 am

I am changing the hosting company for the portal, and my own servers. The reason is I cannot update the phpBB ( forum ) software because the current host has a outdated PHP and wont update. So I have to change hosting companies. We are moving to inmotion hosting. ALSO. Im going to move the LHCPortal.com domain to network solutions with my other domains. AND im going to update the forum to the current version of phpBB..

Thats ALOT... Its going to take me some time to do all this. Over the days ahead there MIGHT be disruptions for LHCPortal. Have no fear. All will be well.. Just some bumps maybe.

The first step is im moving my domain over with its forum. So im going to practice. Once I have that up and working I will know what its going to take to get the Portal moved..

I will keep everybody posted..

Hold on to your butts, it might be a bumpy ride. Maybe not. I dont know whats ahead..

Xymox
Site Admin

Re: ** POSSIBLE DISRUPTION OF SERVICE **

Post by Xymox » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:23 am

Test is a test... On the new server...

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:52 am

Welll we have made it over to the new server/host.. If you see this post, its from the new server..

Wow... That was way more work then you would think..

We are still on 3.0.12 of PHPbb.. But.. Now that I have it all over and working on the new host I can work on upgrading PHPbb..

We will loose this style. The theme.. This is Black Pearl. This is not supported in the new versions of php. So im goign to go to this one. https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/hexagon/

So the target is phpbb 3.2 and PHP 7

Thats like a week away maybe. We will have to switch to a std ugly phpbb style first, just basic prosilver.. Then upgrade. Then go to the style above..

I see we lost the similes to the left. i will put those back..

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:24 am

As far as i can tell, all is well.. Let me know if you spot anything..

The next step is to move the lhcportal.com domain to Network Solutions. Ive started that process but that takes days to go thru. There MIGHT be a beam dump when that happens. I dont think so tho. But we might still have a temp issue come up I will resolve..

The hard part, moving over to the new computer/host is done..

I will still have to update the forum, but, thats a week away or so..

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:59 am

Ok im going to try and upgrade the forum tonight. So the forum will be down for some time. I might not get it to work, but, I will give it a try.

Also.. I will have to convert everybody to the forum default style ( theme ) during the transition. DONt WORRY. It wont stay that way. I will go back to a dark them once im done.

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:01 am

It looks like we made it to 3.2 !!! AWESOME... But now I need to figure out how to add the right theme and get us back to the right dark look.

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:37 am

Hmmmm........ Well we dont have zillions of themes/styles to choose from for this newest current version of the forum software yet... Plus. Lots of people now use mobile... So some themes are best on mobile....

Difficult calls..

I can put whatever styles people might want.. They must be supported by PHP 3.2 tho...

We have this one Hexagon, and we have Carbon installed along with the stock Prosilver. You can choose these from your profile control panel.

Go here to look at more styles. I can, and will, add more. https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... _styles-12

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:37 am

To me this font looks all !@!# up...

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:52 am

Ive set the style to "Carbon" the font in "Hexagon" looks all wonky.. And its too wide..

I will work on this in the days/weeks ahead.

I need suggestions for a style. I want a dark style. But it looks like our choices are limited right now as 3.2 is new from phpbb...

BUT we are now current !!!

The next big step, and possible beam dump, will be sunday the 9th. The LHCPortal.com changes registrar and this might cause a brief disruption...

chelle

Post by chelle » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:29 am

Howdy,

What a surprise today! :mrgreen:

Congratulations on the transion, the grey is a bit flu and the white background here in the reply window hurts my eyes … but nothing really to complain about.

What I am missing in the frontpage are the date of the new/last posts.

In the past I would just scroll through the front page to check what's new.

BTW getting it back 2 black should be to hard if you sniff through the template, I think. :roll:

Cheers,

m.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:40 am

Yea im missing the black... YES I could edit the template, but then, every time I upgrade the style, cuz I upgrade the board, then i have to reedit things.

I would rather get some theme/style thats stock the right colors.

The Hexagon is great color wise. But. Its weird wide and its got a funky looking, like broken, font...

Hmmm.... On your date of new/last post is a theme thing. So again, the right theme is whats missing..

I want to stay on 3.2, but, I do want DARK.. Im like you, I dont like the lit up boxes..

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:44 am

There is another issue. A more serious one ive posted about over at phpbb.. We lost 65 inline images that people uploaded.

I have a full backup of course and I could flip all this back to the way it was in like 15 mins, but, I want to work thru this and get it working.

So im waiting on some posts on phpbb..

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:53 am

While this one is green... Its easier on the eyes... https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/ne_blackgreen/

Ive set the board to it.. It easier to look at...

chelle

Post by chelle » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:10 am

I don't mind the green it gives it a kind of Type O Negative look. :mrgreen:

I guess the red as before would make it more 'traditional' and more habitual.

Maybe you could hire someone on freelancer for fixing the templates, but who am I to say I also have somewhere an old site running in Joomla from 2007 with perhaps 50 to 60 pages and haven't did a update, sigh.

Regarding the images you could always place them in a file/list and people look over there if they wonder. But as you point out fixing this would be of course better, I don't think it shouldn't be to hard, but it's a wild guess.

And yep the dark for the 'edit box' is now better, the contrast was hard to my eyes but that's perhaps because I was still half sleeping.

I have to say that here in the edit box the blue cursor thing sometimes turns red and makes it harder to see it's a bit weird.

Anyway, cool to see the upgrade, well done, hope you get the style that you like.

Curious how it looks on a desktop, I've one used the mobile version.

BTW regarding new post maybe you could set up a notification thingy like what I get now if I check the notify box when there's a reply, but than for the whole forum.

Cheers,
m.

p.s. Sorry for jumping from one thing to an other here, just talking out loud.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:42 pm

Well..... You might not like me.. I made a mistake. I gotta redo the upgrade from a backup from yesterday. Its the only way to get the inline images back. So we are gonna loose posts from yesterday.

Thats the bad news..

The good news is I found a style color editor. I can upload the style and customize it and then download it in its new form. http://www.trushkin.biz/tests/frameset/page1.php so im gonna take this green one and alter it.

Ive been doing all this work on a PC. I have a ipad I will look at it on as well. I dont have a phone that will do it tho, so, I will need feedback.

So.. regretfully. Anything posted now will go away as i have to go back to a backup. Also this will all put the board for a while. I will start the work shortly.