The Death Star

Discussion of the end of the world brought about by ultra high energy colliders.
CharmQuark
Site Admin

The Death Star

Post by CharmQuark » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:53 am

hmmmm a friend thought he would be funny and show me this................i am having a real bad scare moment here :cry:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... z0byiQBwRy
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

Shadowdraxx
LHCPortal Guru

Re: The Death Star

Post by Shadowdraxx » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:45 am

ahh this, I've known of it for a few years (the twin stars that is, not some doomsday theory that papers invented), however the distance is now considered a plausable (in a distance only way) threat to the earth, but lets get things into prospective:

The supernova model has only come about because its overdue a nova burst which makes it smaller, (this has happened alot until the last 40 years), so its exciting to the astro guys because it may be changing its makeup and outcome.

you can read about this here:

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/061222_ ... _star.html

OK so "Soon" to these guys means > than 9 million years, no if's and buts but really about 10 million years give or take, according to the computer model.

Ok Soooo 9+ millions years if it goes nova were toast then yeah? erm no, currently its location to us is 3260 Light years away now (just over 1k parsecs), in 9 million years time it will have moved further away from us meaning it cannot harm us, so that is a main key point but just to chill the nerves a bit more....

Ok so the simulated projections, upon this was based (if the lack of nova's continue).

The danger aspect only ever came from the fact the model was based on gamma ray bursts which isnt well expected from this event.

So all in all, calculated slightly wrong, and an innocent astro meeting grabbed and twisted for the media to feed us, because lets face it they are bored of snow news now.

Basically the meeting was to discuss the fasinating ramifications (note not doomsday), regarding the future of this star, then was turned into OMG SCIENTIST SAYS SUPOERNOVA WILL KILL US ALL.

You can view the suns report on this pretty much like the suns report on the LHC destroying the planet on sept 10th 2008, just for the first beam....

and the telegraph article its shamefull reporting really....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/spac ... osion.html

OO EDIT:

http://news.discovery.com/space/will-ea ... rnova.html

Explains it better than me :)

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:07 am

Shadowdraxx :D

Thank you so much :) i expect this every year always something is gonna distroy the earth or whatever and i always have the same reaction :oops: makes me feel kinda silly in a way i take alot of things on face value :oops: and yes i know how the sun reacted on the LHC thats what made me scared in the first place :oops: Great when you sit back and look into things properly thanks again for explaining :)

Emmylou :romance-kisscheek:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

Shadowdraxx
LHCPortal Guru

Post by Shadowdraxx » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:43 am

I know what its like, but the media really should learn to research and write correctly, but fear sells, and thats something they picked up on very quickly.

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:02 am

No kidding :oops:

Just makes me mad that they do it, i know you shouldn't listen to all you read in the papers but when something scares you ya just can't help it, over the years i have dreaded each new year because i know that somewhere there is at least gonna be two of three maybe more end of the world cases, scared me ever since i was a kid :oops: thank you again though kinda went into real panic mode thought here would be the best place to put my at rest or at least be able to talk to out so i can understand more :)

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:43 am

Sometimes I think it'll be better blocking the media like they do in China :sad-pacing: :sleeping-asleep:

Thanks for clarifying this shameful piece of fear mongering.

On a related note, while searching the news for this item, I came across this article
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2 ... -supernova

Is there any possibility that such an explosion created a vacuum bubble which is on it's way here?

Also, what is the probability of the cosmic rays energies suddenly going higher than 10^20 and thus creating a vacuum bubble?

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:09 am

Sometimes I think it'll be better blocking the media like they do in China
That would be the best thing not gonna happen though :cry:

It's bad enough when it's just one person but the papers and media ugh i wonder how many end of the world cases we will have this year :roll: don't matter really i still get scared :lol: :oops:

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:29 am

Stephen wrote:On a related note, while searching the news for this item, I came across this article
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2 ... -supernova

Is there any possibility that such an explosion created a vacuum bubble which is on it's way here?
I believe no, although it was unusual it could have had even less "energy concentration" than usual supernova explosions. Usual supernovas shine a few days, this one was burning for over a year...
Stephen wrote:Also, what is the probability of the cosmic rays energies suddenly going higher than 10^20 and thus creating a vacuum bubble?
Most powerful particle accelerators in the universe are IMO black holes, especially the supermassive ones in galaxy centers (quasars, AGNs, etc). They have been creating such energetic rays for billions of years, aiming them randomly at objects all around them and we still don't observe universe being eaten up by anything anywhere around.

oxodoes

Post by oxodoes » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:13 pm

Bob

Post by Bob » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:39 am

I wrote a thing on my blog about this stuff. Have a look at
http://newsgoat.co.uk/large-hadron-col ... kill-moon/

It has some infographics that I am quite proud of, and might make you smile.

chelle

Post by chelle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:27 pm

Bob wrote:It has some infographics that I am quite proud of, and might make you smile.
Bob you are an idiot.

If you want to see some intersting graphics from the Moon, look at this Transient lunar phenomenon as discussed in the Creating Sparks topic.

Source: http://www.esa.int/esa-mmg/mmg.pl?b=b&t ... =y&start=2
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

madisonM

Post by madisonM » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:47 pm

The theory looks fantastic but I really can't say that I can believe it 100%.

joelyhague

Post by joelyhague » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:56 am

This is one of the best topics that can get anyone curious. The Death Star made me reading for hours and weeks.

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:57 pm

I forget I even posted this lol, what a difference a few years can make to your mind set haha. Good stuff!