World's most powerful laser to tear apart vacuum of space

The place to discuss particle physics
CharmQuark
Site Admin

World's most powerful laser to tear apart vacuum of space

Post by CharmQuark » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:33 pm

A laser powerful enough to tear apart the fabric of space could be built in Britain as part major new scientific project that aims to answer some of the most fundamental questions about our universe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... space.html
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

Stephen

Re: World's most powerful laser to tear apart vacuum of spac

Post by Stephen » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:47 pm

Tear apart out vacuum? This doesn't sound good. Is there any chance this experiment could be dangerous?

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:58 pm

I am sure it is no way dangerous :)
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru

Post by DCWhitworth » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:47 pm

CharmQuark wrote:I am sure it is no way dangerous :)
I'm sure it is *very* dangerous ! You won't catch me waving my hand in front of it ! ;)
DC

The LHC - One ring to rule them all !

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:25 am

DCWhitworth wrote: I'm sure it is *very* dangerous ! You won't catch me waving my hand in front of it ! ;)
*smirks*

Ooooh the things they are making these days....I am sure one of them is going to be the death of us :silent: :angel:

I am joking of course :ugeek:

DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru

Post by DCWhitworth » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:39 pm

Hmmm, looking at the pictures it bears a certain resemblance to a well known world-busting science fiction weapon - so maybe we should be worried !
DC

The LHC - One ring to rule them all !

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:48 pm

DCWhitworth wrote:Hmmm, looking at the pictures it bears a certain resemblance to a well known world-busting science fiction weapon - so maybe we should be worried !
I am worried :oops: Need a brainy knight in shining amour to come ride the ice comet with me so we can save the world together :pray:

draph91

Post by draph91 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:34 pm

oh boy here we go again
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Thu May 10, 2012 6:07 am

I wonder if some fears wouldnt even arise if the journalists wouldnt always find such negatively blooming words like "tearing apart the fabric of space" or even "god particle" what sound scary to many people.
In cannot help thinking that scaring people more than necessary on purpuse is part of their buisness of atracting attention and selling their storys.

In my point of view they dont try to tear space here, but rather tray to pull apart and delay for a fraction of a second from recombinig some particles which they expect are popping out of empty space and anihilate again every billionth of a second anyways.
bye

chriwi

chelle

Post by chelle » Thu May 10, 2012 8:50 am

chriwi wrote:I wonder if some fears wouldn't even arise if the journalists wouldn't always find such negatively blooming words like "tearing apart the fabric of space" or even "god particle" what sound scary to many people.
In cannot help thinking that scaring people more than necessary on purpose is part of their business of attracting attention and selling their stories.

In my point of view they don't try to tear space here, but rather tray to pull apart and delay for a fraction of a second from recombining some particles which they expect are popping out of empty space and annihilate again every billionth of a second anyways.
This type of science is a medal with 2 sides, it is interesting and exciting because it is cutting edge and has never been done before, and so it attracts curiosity of scientists and investors, ... and the news media who report in their own way also to get attention, just like they can be apocalyptical about a sporting event such as boxing match.

But the other side is that they effectively are doing tests that never have been done before, and it is not in a fictions environment, so you can never know the outcome ... and this always leaves a gap for some / lots of speculation, just like someone does have the chance to get killed in a fight.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Thu May 10, 2012 10:35 am

Hi Chelle,

I agree with you that whenever something new is done everything is possible and if we always lived to the maxime "better dont do anything you dont know, it could be dangerous" then from the that time knowledge point of view the melting of the first metal ore was a highly dangerous thing whith unknown outcome, but if humans never tryed that we would have remainde in stoneage and maybe would have died all in the following iceage. Doing something might be dangerous, doing nothing will kill all lifeforms on this planet earlyer or later too, so we just not know what is the best to do or leave.
Despite the possible danger I dont agree with the behaviour of the jopurnalists to try to scare even the people who cannot even understand what the scinetist are really up to, in my eyes that is only abusing the possible fear of the innocent for their own profit or goals , they should rather take more efforts to make the innocent understand what the scientists plant to do and after understanding make their own opinion insted of keeping then innocent but scare them with using heavy words for things the innocent not even understand.
Best example is that "god particle" many innocent connect this words with mystics and religion beliving that it could give special powers, but even if scientists created this word they never meant such things, and the journalists have nothing better to do than to lead the innocent in a wrong direction instead of trying to explain why some scinetist call this highs-boson "god particle" only because its the only missing part to complete their (standart)modle but besides this gives no special powers at all.
bye

chriwi

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Thu May 10, 2012 10:43 am

Chelle wrote:But the other side is that they effectively are doing tests that never have been done before ...
They are doing things that never have been done before by humans.

The universe knows worse. Way, way worse. And nothing of it seems to be tearing it apart.

chelle

Post by chelle » Thu May 10, 2012 11:04 am

chriwi wrote:... but besides this gives no special powers at all.
So you call giving mass nothing special :mrgreen:

... it comes down to proving the level of risk there is or isn't, that is indeed what is lacking in the mainstream media, but this is also the fault of the scientists, if they would make visual simulations of the densities and frequencies settings of the LHC vs. the steady less energetic flow of cosmic-rays up above our head, than those silly people would also see that it is more like comparing rain vs. water compressing through a high pressure fire hose, and people would get a bit weary with reason, and not because of some laughable mystical reasons.

Edit: btw it is not that these test are happening in an effective vacuum, there is something where these collisions happen as Frank Close, that 'draph91' brought up the other day, explains: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAy9bGIuXR0

So yes it still can be seen as playing with matches in the woods. And when I look into space I see a lot of forest fires aka Supernovae aka "... worse. Way, way worse." like Kasua would say.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Thu May 10, 2012 7:08 pm

draph91 wrote:oh boy here we go again
This was from like Oct hehe :D

draph91

Post by draph91 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:04 pm

CharmQuark wrote:
draph91 wrote:oh boy here we go again
This was from like Oct hehe :D
you know what I mean don't you
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all