Portal Link Changes 11/27/09

Suggestion you might have for new links for my CERN portal page or suggestions for the forum
Xymox
Site Admin

Portal Link Changes 11/27/09

Post by Xymox » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:34 am

I have added some first drafts stuff under the LHC section on the portal links

Definitions - From a CERN PDF
Acronyms - From a CERN PDF

These are horribly complex and not for first time average users. We will need to work on much simpler and shorter versions of these specifically for watching Page 1, Cryo and LHC-OP... They do not include stuff for the experiments either, just for the LHC..

INFO - I added a EXTREMELY draft version of a general info page on understanding the Page 1 display.

Needless to say thanks go out to everybody who found this info and helped..

We are not there yet for sure... But at least we have started..

I am going to ask for some CERN help. I am hoping they are pretty proud of our first attempt :) Of course im sure a lot of it is wrong, but hey, we are trying !!

Everybody keep digging around.

The difficult part is making it all understandable by a kid. Yep. We get kids on the site. Teachers, students and lay people.. So the big difficult part is going to be making all this understandable for anyone.. Its almost overwhelming in fact taking something so complex and making it understandable, but I think it is VERY important to do so..

Danny252 did a great job on the Page 1 graphic. It has simple short explanations. Thats what we need. We also need the same kinda thing for Cryo ( LHC-2 ) and LHC-OP..

Because PS, SPS and LINAC are also involved we are gonna need to addess those as well. Right now PS is down. So people will want to go look at it and see what its doing. SOoOOo they will need a info page on that as well..

BIG project... But rewarding... Think about some kid we could get involved in physics, he might grow up and be the next Einstein.

Danny252
LHCPortal Guru

Re: Portal Link Changes 11/27/09

Post by Danny252 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:19 pm

Danny252 did a great job on the Page 1 graphic. It has simple short explanations. Thats what we need. We also need the same kinda thing for Cryo ( LHC-2 ) and LHC-OP..
I'm planning on having a go tonight - it's just that it got to 1am by the time I finished Page 1!
Because PS, SPS and LINAC are also involved we are gonna need to addess those as well. Right now PS is down. So people will want to go look at it and see what its doing. SOoOOo they will need a info page on that as well..
Do we know if the VISTARs for these are
1) Being used at all?
2) Being kept up to date?

I tried deciphering the LINAC screens last night but didn't get amazingly far.
BIG project... But rewarding... Think about some kid we could get involved in physics, he might grow up and be the next Einstein.
Hey, it looks good on my uni application :D

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:29 pm

Heheheh.... well there you go... As a number of CERN guys are watching the forums maybe that might just work in your favor ! I will have to give you proper credit for the work and put a link to your site or facebook or something.

Yea... I was up late as well. As were others looking around for good info.

Im thinking about starting with your Page 1 graphic. Then when someone clicks on parts of it a flip to a new page with detailed info and all the links we can find on that subject of the Page 1 display. For example the TV section has some new stuff that Razuul has found.
These power point slides are quite good at explaining how the beam TVs work and a bit more info on where they are placed.

http://ab-dep-bi-pm.web.cern.ch/ab-dep- ... 006-EB.ppt

Edit:
Also this article has a nice picture and a bit of explanation http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/20 ... -tv-c.html

I'll just keep adding links here
Short ppt with nice graphs
http://sl-div-bi.web.cern.ch/sl-div-bi/ ... tvlhc1.ppt

Danny252
LHCPortal Guru

Post by Danny252 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:50 pm

Possibly we could have a "What's This?" link somewhere on your frames around the pages - so on Page 1, it links to a page giving details for Page 1; on Op Status, it links to a page on that.

Would be an idea to have a central page linking to all these help pages instead/as well. But we do need to try and organise a lot of this - I've commited most of it to memory because I've seen it as it was posted, but to someone joining today it must be confusing.

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:19 am

Yup...

Its confuzing even if you have been poking around for a while at CERN !

Yes I want to demystify the machine and its experiments. To do this It needs to be understandable to anyone, even a kid. Im going to try and accomplish this.

I want to be ready before the next big event, which is around Dec 4th. Im sure the press coverage will bring a large number of people back who bookmarked the site last time, AND A LOT DID.. They will see the news and go to the computer and use the bookmark..

I want to be ready for that.

I am going now to start working on the info page..

We need a first page with some basic links. Step by step collisions. What the displays mean... Then stuff like Like Page 1, Cryo, Status-Op with links to much more detail..

Again this first draft is preliminary.

I still want CERN to review and proof the pages. However I will put them up as a best guess work in progress for now..

Will take me some time to do this.

I tell you,,, this LHCPortal has become almost a full time job !

SO EVERYBODY any suggestions would be good. Think of this page as a collaboration project for this. All suggestions are welcome..

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:34 am

Newest updates have been done... Just sort of a spereating of the sections and some basic first drafts..

Click on the info link under the LHC section..

Still a LONG way from being done.. I have to go spend time with friends sunday. Next week I have a lot of time so I can really get this all finished and worked out.

I want the Page 1/status-op description graphic to be clickable and will lead to more detailed info for that section of the display.

Lots to do.... man its time consuming work !