unpronouncable volcano

Anything unrelated to the LHC
Kasuha

Re: unpronouncable volcano

Post by Kasuha » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:48 am

On lighter note:

Icelandian volcanos are Eyjafjallajökull, Hvannadalshnúkur, Grímsvötn, Katla, and Snaefelsjökull...
Outer world calls them volcano, volcano, volcano, Katla and volcano.

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Fri May 07, 2010 12:11 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BXTmk4MKXo
I believe everybody will see in this video what he wants to see there... but I think it's interesting anyway.

wochyana

Post by wochyana » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:43 am

What is the biggest active volcano in the world? I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure that Yellowstone is, but is there any volcano that has more destructive capability than yellowstone? I know there have been bigger ones in the past (like the one that helped kill the dinosaurs), but are there any bigger today?

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:56 pm

wochyana wrote:What is the biggest active volcano in the world? I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure that Yellowstone is, but is there any volcano that has more destructive capability than yellowstone? I know there have been bigger ones in the past (like the one that helped kill the dinosaurs), but are there any bigger today?
That depends on what kind of "biggest" do you have on mind.
Largest, as in most matter in it - Mauna Loa, Hawaii.
Highest - Cotopaxi, Galapagos
Most active - Kilauea, Hawaii
Using google you can sure find a few more.

photino
LHCPortal Guru

Post by photino » Sun May 22, 2011 7:46 pm

Seeing as there has just been another eruption in Iceland, I thought I would have a look and see if there has been any research on whether the airspace shutdown was necessary with the benefit of hindsight.
Turns out it was:
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/ ... lcano-ash/
http://www.pnas.org/content/108/18/7307

Decisions should be easier in the future as a result of this work:
The newly developed protocol for assessing future ash can provide information for safety assessment in less than 24 hours. Within an hour of receiving the samples, scientists can tell how poisonous they are for the animals and people living closest to the eruption. Half a day enables them to predict the danger of sandblasting on aircraft, and assess the risk of fouling jet engines. Within a day they can tell the size of the particles, providing data for predicting where and how far the ash cloud will spread. Susan Stipp hopes that because of the analysis protocol, aviation authorities will not face such an impossible dilemma next time fine-grained ash threatens passenger safety.