interesting article

Anything unrelated to the LHC
draph91

interesting article

Post by draph91 » Sun May 24, 2015 11:24 am

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all

chelle

Re: interesting article

Post by chelle » Fri May 29, 2015 9:40 am

The part of setting the Atmosphere on fire was interesting, but the biggest different danger from a nuclear explosion is the black rain / fall out. The Atom-bomb was pretty impressive, but it wasn't like the first big implosion. There's a long list of large explosions ... just to get an idea scale-wise:

500-ton conventional explosive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVM9_attO1Q

Ammo dump Blast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7xauXUksic

--

Those from 'Future of Humanity Institute' are lame bunch of people, more a philosophical think-tank than a serious group of researcher. Their One scale for evaluating risks to mankind table, makes no sense, I guess where the X is, is where the real investigation begins.

--

I've looked at their work on the LHC and it reads like a joke:
http://www.fhi.ox.ac.uk/probing-the-improbable.pdf

They have read the LHC-safety report and guess what, they report what is being said in there; and than they start to wine about a possible calculation mistake, that could have a big impact. Duh, this is something Wittgenstein already mentioned years ago, which I posted in this topic on the portal:
Where will the harm come?

--

If they would have done some serious research about the numbers they would have found that High-energy cosmic rays are Iron on Iron, or Iron on Nitrogen collisions, with the same velocity as the Protons in the LHC, and so the individual energy of the Protons inside those irons nuclei have the same energy as in the LHC, they don't go a billion times faster as the Safety paper would like to suggest, the go just as fast.

Besides that, they should have remarked that the frequency & Density at the LHC is 10^9 times higher than collisions in nature.

And a last point is that the detectors and the LHC are not sufficient enough to look for 'exotic' activity they can only look for short living particles, what ever is now shaking and trembling like what smoke would be for a fire, they can not detect it.

All in all the article was useless and only there to give a false sense of security, thrust me I know what I'm saying. :mrgreen:

cheers,

Victor

Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

draph91

Post by draph91 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:45 pm

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

chelle

Post by chelle » Sat May 30, 2015 9:58 am

Hey thanks. Looks interesting, although it's a bit late, they already 'signed off' ... and there are 3000+ comments ... I'll have to register, and see if there's a way to get a notification if/when they have next round ... hopefully to be continued.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

draph91

Post by draph91 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:11 pm

chelle wrote:The part of setting the Atmosphere on fire was interesting, but the biggest different danger from a nuclear explosion is the black rain / fall out. The Atom-bomb was pretty impressive, but it wasn't like the first big implosion. There's a long list of large explosions ... just to get an idea scale-wise:

500-ton conventional explosive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVM9_attO1Q

Ammo dump Blast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7xauXUksic

--

Those from 'Future of Humanity Institute' are lame bunch of people, more a philosophical think-tank than a serious group of researcher. Their One scale for evaluating risks to mankind table, makes no sense, I guess where the X is, is where the real investigation begins.

--

I've looked at their work on the LHC and it reads like a joke:
http://www.fhi.ox.ac.uk/probing-the-improbable.pdf

They have read the LHC-safety report and guess what, they report what is being said in there; and than they start to wine about a possible calculation mistake, that could have a big impact. Duh, this is something Wittgenstein already mentioned years ago, which I posted in this topic on the portal:
Where will the harm come?

--

If they would have done some serious research about the numbers they would have found that High-energy cosmic rays are Iron on Iron, or Iron on Nitrogen collisions, with the same velocity as the Protons in the LHC, and so the individual energy of the Protons inside those irons nuclei have the same energy as in the LHC, they don't go a billion times faster as the Safety paper would like to suggest, the go just as fast.

Besides that, they should have remarked that the frequency & Density at the LHC is 10^9 times higher than collisions in nature.

And a last point is that the detectors and the LHC are not sufficient enough to look for 'exotic' activity they can only look for short living particles, what ever is now shaking and trembling like what smoke would be for a fire, they can not detect it.

All in all the article was useless and only there to give a false sense of security, thrust me I know what I'm saying. :mrgreen:

cheers,

Victor

well you did point out you're a sceptic, not a fear-monger