Censorship gives me the creeps.

Anything unrelated to the LHC
chelle

Censorship gives me the creeps.

Post by chelle » Wed May 23, 2012 10:48 am

I just need a place to air my worries, so here I go ...

Y'all know my 'sparks and shaking up the medium' hypothesis, and why the lhc might be a hazardous thing, and y'all let me discuss these thoughts here on this Forum, my praise to Chris and the LHC-portal team for letting me do so.

But once I come out of these woods, and post some of my arguments on a more mainstream forum or blog I'm welcomed but than they quickly start to laugh with me, but once I start to bring up some numbers and seem to know my stuff, they start poking at me and bring up some religious things or any other kind of stupidity, and next they start to realize that my arguments do make more sense than what was first expected, and suddenly all the last discussion posts are removed, by the moderator ... and this gives me the creeps.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

Kasuha

Re: Censorship gives me the creeps.

Post by Kasuha » Thu May 24, 2012 5:51 am

Every discussion needs to find its place, I guess. When I come to discuss my doubts about global warming to realclimate.org, my posts also never show up.

DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru

Post by DCWhitworth » Thu May 24, 2012 7:35 am

I think this thread should be reported to the moderator for removal !

Seriously, I think one reason for people setting up forums is to create a place where like-minded people can share opinions and information. If you come along and you are not a like-minded person then that tends to disturb them and make them uncomfortable.

Also there are a lot of complex issues out there in the world (e.g. the LHC, global warming) on which many people like to hold an opinion even though they don't understand the very much about the subject, but they want to feel comfortable about them so they create groups where they can discuss issues with people who believe the same thing.

So I guess the end result is that if you come along to their little groups, post well reasoned arguments that contradict their opinions and they aren't capable of refuting (not because you are necessarily right but because they don't know as much as they pretend) you will make them uncomfortable and they will want you out of their group.

The media is heavily to blame for simplifying complex subjects, global warming is a good example and so people get the idea they understand a subject when in fact they don't. They think they have knowledge but what they actually have is faith, and if you challenge someone's faith with knowledge don't expect them to shake your hand and thank you.
DC

The LHC - One ring to rule them all !

chelle

Post by chelle » Thu May 24, 2012 9:24 am

Kasuha wrote:Every discussion needs to find its place, I guess. When I come to discuss my doubts about global warming to realclimate.org, my posts also never show up.
Of course they cut you out. You have a political motivation, mh but than again they to, don't they. :think:

DCWhitworth wrote:I think this thread should be reported to the moderator for removal!
If you ask Miss Charm's nicely you might get something done :thumbup:

Seriously, I think one reason for people setting up forums is to create a place where like-minded people can share opinions and information. If you come along and you are not a like-minded person then that tends to disturb them and make them uncomfortable.
True, but this place here is very ambiguous, with even an End of the World section, it makes me wonder if Chris likes to collect nuts or likes to talk about science.

Also there are a lot of complex issues out there in the world (e.g. the LHC, global warming) on which many people like to hold an opinion even though they don't understand the very much about the subject, but they want to feel comfortable about them so they create groups where they can discuss issues with people who believe the same thing.
'Complex issues' also become symbols (of faith like you point out) and established, or new, political parties start to use them as means to attract people to support or to oppose, ... and most people just join because joining is a fun thing to do, be it with or against, ... and the it all becomes even more complex but playable by politicians.

So I guess the end result is that if you come along to their little groups, post well reasoned arguments that contradict their opinions and they aren't capable of refuting (not because you are necessarily right but because they don't know as much as they pretend) you will make them uncomfortable and they will want you out of their group.
That is true, both questions about lhc and global warming have a philosophical nature, thinking about what could happen. But the biggest problem I think is that in both cases that it can have an impact on real life situations the more fanatic opinions become ... and the specific problem for the lhc is that it is in a sense a very fragile project ... for global warning there has to happen a lot before we can start banning cars so to say ... for the lhc a swing of popular opinion and funding can become an issue ... By keeping philosophical debate out of the eye of popular media you do the right thing I suppose, but with the internet and these forums it is though for people to openly talk about something knowing the fragility of the subject.

The media is heavily to blame for simplifying complex subjects, global warming is a good example and so people get the idea they understand a subject when in fact they don't. They think they have knowledge but what they actually have is faith, and if you challenge someone's faith with knowledge don't expect them to shake your hand and thank you.
I see it more as a tribal thing, people go along with their group, and follow what the top puts in the media, and if you attack the tribe, indeed all the tribe will kick you out. And faith in shared symbols is indeed what keeps the group together, although for many they just like to run along.

Humans are complex and their behavior is rather basic, but not simple.

Anyway it keeps us all busy.

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Thu May 24, 2012 10:49 am

DCWhitworth wrote:They think they have knowledge but what they actually have is faith, and if you challenge someone's faith with knowledge don't expect them to shake your hand and thank you.
In most cases it's one faith against another faith as well.

Someone once said, there's nobody in the world able to make a cellphone. There's a deep truth in that statement. But it doesn't apply just to cellphones. Today's science is built on results of previous generations of scientists and a lot of it is based on faith that these results are correct. Many of them were verified many times over and over by many different people, but given the amount of recent scientific progress, most of results were never reproduced by anyone and will never be. And let's admit it - even scientists are just humans and make errors.

I guess there might be quite a lot of people already thinking they're doing science while they actually aren't. Increasing amount of scientific announcements even in respectable journals which in the end turn out to be perpetual motion machines (if they worked) is one of signs it's really happening.

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Thu May 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Chelle :thumbup:

I have delt with my fair share of small minded people across the many years I have been on the internet, and it does get on your goat after a while. I have never had a problem you or what you have wrote on here, mainly because I have no idea what you are talking about :D but that is besides the point. On other forums acoss the net I think they can be very judgemental especially when they are not sure about what someone is going on about.

As for the whole religion thing well I have no comment :D people with small minds and such I think sometimes hide behind the whoe religion thing as they have no other way to argue with people :thumbup:

So as things stand I think I shall be keeping this thread, just because I can ;)

The ever loving Charms :whistle:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

StrangeQuark

Post by StrangeQuark » Thu May 24, 2012 6:52 pm

Global warming is a natural phenomenon that we will have to live with....As the sun warms and gets bigger so we WILL get warmer, there is no getting away from that fact, ok so our use of greenhouse gasses hasnt helped but global warming is gonna happen.

On the religion side of things.... I will not listen to any of then UNTIL i have proof of any "god" and proof of anything religion wise E.G. The Bible, there isnt any proof of anything in The Bible being true.

chelle

Post by chelle » Thu May 24, 2012 7:11 pm

CharmQuark wrote:So as things stand I think I shall be keeping this thread, just because I can
Hey thanks for your kind words, and yes you can :D

Overall the creepy feeling is now gone, thanks for letting me air out in this oasis.

I have come to see this *sparks* idea rather as a gimmick, but when it gets to be cut out, I get the feeling that its serious and that there might be some truth in it ... and then I worry ... It might be also that they find me too looney ... and after about a day I'm starting to realize that that's probably it because I am ... for sure ... and I'm good again :mrgreen:

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Thu May 24, 2012 7:33 pm

LOL you are welcome Chelle :thumbup:

Nothing wrong with being a bit looney though makes the world a better place I say :thumbup: and of course you will always be up there as one of my fav crack pots ;) meant in a very nice way as I am sure you know :wtf:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru

Post by DCWhitworth » Tue May 29, 2012 12:02 pm

StrangeQuark wrote: On the religion side of things.... I will not listen to any of then UNTIL i have proof of any "god" and proof of anything religion wise E.G. The Bible, there isnt any proof of anything in The Bible being true.
Careful ! There's definitely proof that some things in the bible are true. Lots of historical people appear in it.
DC

chelle

Post by chelle » Tue May 29, 2012 2:10 pm

Yay, things are finally getting exciting, some dame and not just any dame, Lady Cha-cha-Charms, has tempted our green crusader about the holy book ... Who is now busy sharpening his sword and ready to put on his helmet to engage in a brutal fight!

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Thu May 31, 2012 5:51 pm

Chelle wrote:Yay, things are finally getting exciting, some dame and not just any dame, Lady Cha-cha-Charms, has tempted our green crusader about the holy book ... Who is now busy sharpening his sword and ready to put on his helmet to engage in a brutal fight!

Hahaha omg Chelle you make me laugh :P

*Goes off and does a little dance* :crazy:

chelle

Post by chelle » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:24 am

CharmQuark wrote: Hahaha omg Chelle you make me laugh :P
it was not my intention, because I wanted to make a joke about his helmet, which is most likely something like the one below, but I decided to pick an honorable one.

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:06 pm

Very dashing he looks too :crazy:

DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru

Post by DCWhitworth » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:22 pm

An impressive helmet but not as impressive at this lengendary guy -
Bread_Helmet1.jpg
Bread_Helmet1.jpg (53.96 KiB) Viewed 21182 times
DC