what about science and spirituality?

Quantum physics is a very strange world
Daars

what about science and spirituality?

Post by Daars » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:19 pm

I'd like to discuss a topic which has a spiritual approach as well as a scientific one in the possible outcome of the effort by scientists in the LHC...What if...(and if stands four doubt ...but could become quantumwise reality when intentionally created so)...scientists manage to create a BB...which evolves into a universe as ours...and could peek into realms as well as and other then ours....wouldn't that mean that Man...would have created an image of himself (see the reference)...God created an example of himself...and become an observer / peek into our everyday judgement and evolution...I have the feeling I could go on and on about this..spiralwise :-p...any comments? dont leave all your criticism, since it will lead to enlightning things...i guess

Kasuha

Re: what about science and spirituality?

Post by Kasuha » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:34 pm

Giving something initial impulse does not mean you have complete control of it. It is a question whether you can really feel like god in relation to something if you can't predict its behavior.

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:38 am

Thats an interesting thought, and one I've considered before.

I have stopped giving this any thought time because it is unprovable.

You can postulate many, many philosophies like this. They all start out by saying "what if?" and they are all unprovable. Science fiction and Fantasy are based upon this question.

Unless you can come up with a way to test your particular hypothesis, it will remain interesting but hypothetical.

Good fun tho...... :)

Thein

Post by Thein » Fri May 14, 2010 1:03 am

Some things in life are worth the ponder.
James Chadwick thought that Neutrons were unprovable as well, until he and his colleagues conducted the experiment that proved Neutrons to exist
So if that is true, then maybe some day we will know of a proof for a beginning, or maybe proof of infinity.
Paradoxically, man had given himself the unprovable by attempting to prove a once provable substance, in thought.

We had given ourselves the unprovable mysteries by speculation of the unknown... Ghosts, for example, cannot be proven due to Humanity's behavior towards such. The fact that society says so much about Ghosts make the whole ideal seemingly impossible to prove!
(But there always is a way)
Never give up! :)
"We had a Galactic Clash"

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Sat May 15, 2010 7:59 am

I think that if you are going to postulate a theory in any field, be it physics, philosophy, economics or...carpet laying, then the responsibility for finding a way to test or prove that theory, rests with the person who postulates it.
:)

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Mon May 17, 2010 12:23 pm

Maybe sometimes a person making a theory is not capable to come up with a proof for his theory, but then he or she should at least try to find the help of others who might be capable of doing so and also give them sufficient information about their theory to have any chance to succeed in comming up with a proof.
The other way around the should not leave all the proof or disproof to others an make request regarding the actions of others based on their theory, like stopping the LHC because of some unproofen theory without helping to find a way to proof or disproof it.
bye

chriwi

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Tue May 18, 2010 7:55 am

Yes...I think......I do so wish there was only one language, this stuff is complicated enough without having to try to work out what someone would have said if they were an idiomatic english speaker...

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Tue May 18, 2010 10:08 am

I admit not to be a native englishspeaker, but does your comment mean that you were not able to get my point because of mistakes I made in using the english language?
I am not angry if it is like that, I only want to know.
bye

chriwi

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Wed May 19, 2010 8:19 am

Chriwi:

I understand your point. I admire your command of what is not your first language. I only have one language, so I am not criticizing you in any way.

I was just saying that:

Physics is hard to understand.
Philosophy is hard to understand.

The philosophy of physics is VERY hard to understand.

When the philosophy of physics is written by someone whose native language is different than mine, there are always going to be subtle differences of meaning which I have to consider before I can be sure what is meant.

Its a sort of logarithmically compounding index of complexity.

This is why I wish that there was only one language.....

athanmrollo

Post by athanmrollo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:06 am

The 2 are contrasting ideas as always. It will always be hard to believe one when you are a fan of the other.

chelle

Post by chelle » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:00 pm

ninatthorn wrote:Science believes in theories and spirituality believes in God. Two things that can never be proven until now.
Spirituality is not nessesarily about believing in God (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality) and science isn't nessesarily about believing in theories; the latter is about doing research, gathering information and if possible forming theories. I guess the former (spirituality) is more about being detached from the linear here and now and using sensing and thoughts in a hollistic manner, its more about going into a particular state of mind, being slightly detached. When doing science spirituality might come into play, to connect the dots and acquire insight thanks to spiritually letting go of some things while focussing on some other things, sensing through one's thoughts, lucidly dreaming.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich