False Vacuum

Quantum physics is a very strange world
Kasuha

Re: False Vacuum

Post by Kasuha » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:15 pm

I can't say I understand the article completely but it seems that it finds possible problem in intergalactic space or some even larger empty spaces rather than in anything related to particle generators.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:58 am

This has nothing to do with particles accelerators. It says that certain human observatories in space possibly caused a quantum tunneling event to be more likely (since the false vacuum potentially reached a place where it could be stable for a long time, but we triggered it to be unstable again).

Not sure what it means regarding the LHC, as it is closely observing natural phenomenons, and John Ellis said we could possibly find out more things regarding this theory.

Either way, it's a scary thought.

Shadowdraxx
LHCPortal Guru

Post by Shadowdraxx » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:48 am

Am i dumb here or can I not see any direct reference in this paper to a man made object, or furthermore any direct evidence that this theory exists in reality (that we are indeed in a false vacuum?

Edit: im not trying to disprove your comments or anything rather missing a nights sleep and such im finding it hard to grasp what the papers work is trying to say.

March_Hare

Post by March_Hare » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Not sure either but it seems to me (too) that "observation" does not refer to a satellite or some other observatory but to the fact that simple observation of certain (quantum)phenomena influences them.
Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.
~Douglas Adams

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:46 am

That is an agreed fact in quantumphysics that pure observation can change the outcom of an experiment (collapse the wavefunction). there is only argument about if this collaps is globalor only local.
According to quantum theory there is always the slight possibility that a wafefunction is not yet collapsed since times shortly after the big bang and might be collapsed by any obsevation we make. To be sure we have to close all our eyes and ears, the closer we observe the slight chance groth slightly.
In my opinion the perception of the world like it is is already an observation which collapsed the wavefunction so it cannot be collapsed any further and therby change the world like we alredy observed it.
But quantumtheory is realy strange so nobody knows for sure.
bye

chriwi

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:19 am

Many people think that "observation" means that someone is watching. I think the term is quite misleading.
Important thing is, on particles level the only way to "observe" is to interact, i.e. exchange photons between particles we are working with and some other instrumentation designed to watch the experiment. It's pretty clear that it has similar effect like "observing" running clockworks with a steel rod. And another thing is, the effect is the same regardless if someone is really looking at the result or not. Switching your monitor off does not change the way electrons are tunneling through semiconductor holes inside your CPU.
That's why scientists have such hard time making a quantum computer. It's not about "not watching" it, that one is pretty easy. But it's about making sure qubits don't interact with anything before they perform the required operation.

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:32 am

[quote="Kasuha" Switching your monitor off does not change the way electrons are tunneling through semiconductor holes inside your CPU.[/quote]

Can you be certain of that?...even on a non-quantum level, switching your monitor off will certainly affect the current usage of your computer, and thus affect the voltage levels available to the CPU...thus the energy available for electron tunneling operations.

I haven't even started on Chaos theory......

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:55 am

mrgumby wrote:Can you be certain of that?...
Yes I am pretty sure laws of physics don't change when you switch off your monitor.

RomsMaklaet

Post by RomsMaklaet » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:06 am

there is only argument about if this collaps is globalor only local.
gclub ผ่านเว็บ