SBU Professor, Puts “Doomsday” Scenarios in Perspective

Discussion of the end of the world brought about by ultra high energy colliders.

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Re: SBU Professor, Puts “Doomsday” Scenarios in Perspective

Post by CharmQuark » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:27 pm

:thumbup:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

Tau
LHCPortal Guru

Post by Tau » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:32 pm

During the session, Crease, who has documented many years of Brookhaven’s history, explained that science-based doomsday scenarios existed long before the LHC and that these predictions often reflect upon people’s fears and anxieties of the time.
Too bad we know this won't stop MagneticTrap from trying to create panic. :think:
- Tau

chelle

Post by chelle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:27 pm

Tau wrote:Too bad we know this won't stop MagneticTrap from trying to create panic. :think:
I have little bit of trouble with people often accusing others of wanting to create "Panic". I find that to be a bit of an intimidation towards people who want to ask questions. And if you even say something could happen that person would be automatically be a generator of "Panic". Anyway, someone pointed out this interesting article in a recent publication of Nature (jan. 2010), wherein the difficulties and issues are addressed of a neutral Safety report. : http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v4 ... 63294a.pdf
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:47 pm

There is a slight difference between the following two sentences:

1. I wonder whether LHC is going to create magnetic monopoples and whether they may be dangerous.

2. LHC will create a magnetic monopole and it will kill us all!

That's my way of distinguishing curious people from panic spreaders.
Another thing is, the first ones can accept 'no' as an answer. The second ones can't.

chelle

Post by chelle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:26 pm

Kasuha wrote:There is a slight difference between the following two sentences:

1. I wonder whether LHC is going to create magnetic monopoples and whether they may be dangerous.

2. LHC will create a magnetic monopole and it will kill us all!

That's my way of distinguishing curious people from panic spreaders.
Another thing is, the first ones can accept 'no' as an answer. The second ones can't.
I think you are right to differentiate between there "may" and "will" happen something, therefor to say it "will" be save is a term that can only be used once proven so :)

The play of words is endless so an approach as mentioned in the Nature-article might be a more sufficient way of setting up a safety report.

tebeleza

Post by tebeleza » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:37 am

Is the Bible Code very accurate about doomsday predictions? OK, this is another doomsday prediction. The Bible Code, according to wikipedia, has doomsday predictions. Remember when they predicted a doomsday event in 2006, well it didn't happen, but will they be right about December 21, 2012, and is an asteroid or comet due to hit or pass by earth that day?

chelle

Post by chelle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:03 pm

tebeleza wrote:... will they be right about December 21, 2012, and is an asteroid or comet due to hit or pass by earth that day?
Hi tebeleza,

You might want to check this Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_pheno ... y_theories

tunitha

Post by tunitha » Wed May 25, 2011 10:15 am

Can someone direct me to the 2012 doomsday article that was featured on Yahoo yesterday? Everyone has been talking about it. I want to read it. I am not a believer of the 2012 doomsday, so please do not harass me about it.