2012 The end of the world?

Discussion of the end of the world brought about by ultra high energy colliders.
Tau
LHCPortal Guru

Re: 2012 The end of the world?

Post by Tau » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:52 am

Don't worry about it.
Predictions are hard, especially the future.
There are several of these prophecies per year, most go by unnoticed.

This page gives lots of interesting info about such prophecies: http://www.religioustolerance.org/end_wrld.htm
- Tau

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:36 pm

The people who say this are not scientists, they just pretend to be. Here's a site dealing with most of the rumors surrounding 2012.
http://www.2012hoax.org/

March_Hare

Post by March_Hare » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:42 pm

Oh and I've also read that they made a mistake in interpreting the Maya calendar, and that the end of the Maya era is now set for 2020 or somewhere.

No need to trust the predictions by people who can't even calculate the outcome of 1+1 without making a simple error on the way.
Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.
~Douglas Adams

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:36 pm

I haven't heard that, but it any case we shouldn't be worried about. Their calendar doesn't end, it just starts over. The Mayans didn't even predict the end of the world - it's a modern day invention.

spencer

Post by spencer » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:56 pm

lanejared,

i think this would be a lucrative way to advertise some products and captivate a market.
:naughty:

But tell me what you have heard.
If you are really frightened, about something specific, we will be glad to expound.

BTW: good responses guys ! :angry-steamingears:

Shadowdraxx
LHCPortal Guru

Post by Shadowdraxx » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:47 am

I tell you what I've heard, too much bloody lies and incorrect facts.

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:02 am

:thumbup:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

Harbles
LHCPortal Guru

Post by Harbles » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:07 am

However we should fund more research into finding ways to detect and divert asteroids that are a threat to collide.
http://www.space.com/news/060628_neo_workshop.html

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:22 am

True. There were a few times which asteroids were close to a collision with us, but were discovered until after they flew away. :sleeping-asleep:

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Sun May 02, 2010 4:38 am

Reminds me of a song by Monty Python.......The Galaxy Song. Especially the last line.

astrogeek

Post by astrogeek » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:59 am

I'm barging in on this topic, because the site I administer is relevant. We try to tackle and debunk each and every 2012-related doomsday scenario. If you have a new one, we'd be happy to see it too.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:55 am

Astrogeek, I'm very pleased to see you here.

2012 caused me a severe anxiety for almost a year, but then I found your website. After several months of reading it over and over again and mentally reassuring myself, this specific doomsday prediction completely stopped bothering me (not entirely calm regarding the LHC, though). You also gave me some very reassuring answers to the questions bothering me, on the discussion board (back when Ivan was not around).

Thanks for that - I'm sure you're going to help many more people.

astrogeek

Post by astrogeek » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:16 pm

Stephen wrote:Astrogeek, I'm very pleased to see you here.

2012 caused me a severe anxiety for almost a year, but then I found your website. After several months of reading it over and over again and mentally reassuring myself, this specific doomsday prediction completely stopped bothering me (not entirely calm regarding the LHC, though). You also gave me some very reassuring answers to the questions bothering me, on the discussion board (back when Ivan was not around).

Thanks for that - I'm sure you're going to help many more people.
Stephen;

Thank you for the kind words. I hope that sites like this one, and like 2012hoax.org help many people to understand these topics and overcome their fear.

I'm not sure I can add much to this site, as I am not a particle physicist, and anything that I do say will be a repetition of the words of other people. On the other hand, it is always enlightening to engage people who know a particular topic as thoroughly as the people here know this one.

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:14 pm

astrogeek wrote: I'm not sure I can add much to this site, as I am not a particle physicist, and anything that I do say will be a repetition of the words of other people. On the other hand, it is always enlightening to engage people who know a particular topic as thoroughly as the people here know this one.
Astrogeek

I am sure you will do just fine here, not all of us are partile phyisicists..........some of us are just loving the whole LHC thing :D I am heading towards the Astrophysicist side of things i think hehe though i think i might be dreaming a bit :whistle: just take your time looking around and post where you feel omfortable :thumbup: I am completely loving your site by the way :D
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

Tim_BandTechDotCom

Post by Tim_BandTechDotCom » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:30 pm

The main source of this date as far as I can tell is that the Mayans simply ran out of room on their future calendar at this point, so they stopped. This would be like believing that the world will end on New Year's because I haven't gotten a 2011 calendar yet. The Y2K buzz had stronger roots.

The energy that is going on now feels really strong here in the USA. Our country is floundering in a failed model of capitalism within a false democracy. This is necessary, but it is troubling that we have so much weaponry. If the US breaks apart does it have an arrangement as to what will happen to these weapons? The US spends one fourth of its tax revenue on destruction. There are some beautiful salvage parts from all of this technology, and that is about as close to the defense complex that I dare to go.

I prefer to discuss stronger theoretical scenarios like the breakup of the US rather than the 2012 EOW claim. Still, the LHC has brought this energy to a peak, or rather is soon to. Perhaps the scientists of CERN and the LHC should take the opportunity to engage in politics, because we surely do need some sound ideas put forth. Economist and Politician are nearly swearwords, like Pope or Priest. Can science clear this up? Some will claim to be political scientists. As the internet knits us together in a new way then we should anticipate a new way forward. We as bees in a hive have networked a new colony linking the hives. Perhaps now stealing will take on new meaning. Hey, third world countries; The USA is stealing your natural resources. Oops, its not the USA, but its large corporations, protected by its military and CIA. I don't know the full truth, but understand that the full truth is dark. Liberty and justice for all is the way that our pledge reads, but that pledge does not extend beyond our borders.

This short from Feynman is a good paradigm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSZNsIFID28
but then there is this clever response:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyDndEzmAZE
which is somewhat the current state. I here Dec. 7 there will be a banking protest. Looking forward to it. I've been wanting to change banks.