got two news stories

Discussion of the end of the world brought about by ultra high energy colliders.
Post Reply
draph91
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

got two news stories

Post by draph91 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:25 am

We should be very scared about CERN
http://www.thedailyreporter.com/article ... 150909972/

and here's a counter to the link above
Michigan Newspaper Claims LHC Is Being Used As A "Stargate"
http://www.gizmodo.in/science/Michigan- ... 796442.cms

:roll:

and also the comments in the first link have pointed out the flaws in his argument

here's another one
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science ... -stargate/
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all

User avatar
chelle
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:32 am
Location: XL - BXL - B

Re: got two news stories

Post by chelle » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:39 pm

It's always the same trick, they find some idiot and use him to create the illusion that the LHC is safe, who are you going to believe ... makes me think of those scientist in Italy that were send to jail because an excentric said an earthquake would happen because of the guy's measurements of radius ... and the scientists went on tv reasuring everyone that things were safe and not to worry ... turned out two days later that more than 300 got killed.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

draph91
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: got two news stories

Post by draph91 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:38 pm

chelle wrote:It's always the same trick, they find some idiot and use him to create the illusion that the LHC is safe, who are you going to believe ... makes me think of those scientist in Italy that were send to jail because an excentric said an earthquake would happen because of the guy's measurements of radius ... and the scientists went on tv reasuring everyone that things were safe and not to worry ... turned out two days later that more than 300 got killed.
I see, well I'm not really that worried about the LHC chelle, the doomsday theories involving it are becoming more and more ridiculous, a stargate, seriously?, also I disagree with you about the trick part
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all

User avatar
chelle
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:32 am
Location: XL - BXL - B

Re: got two news stories

Post by chelle » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:32 am

"the doomsday theories involving it are becoming more and more ridiculous, a stargate, seriously?"

Well that is the advertising trick right there, just like the Mac vs. PC guy commercials you put some boring looking crazy office clerk up on the stage to create the illusion that who isn't like him knows for sure that the LHC is safe. By showing this kind of nutcase nobody is going to be critical about the LHC because who wants to be associated with that. While in fact the media should report about frequency & density and how UHECRs fall in the same region as the collisions in the LHC, and aren't of a magnitude far beyond 12Tev, that kind of cool stuff. If people would be shown these numbers they might get doubtful, so better play it safe and present some religious AND star-gate character to play the part of the opposition.

Image
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

draph91
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: got two news stories

Post by draph91 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:36 am

chelle wrote:"the doomsday theories involving it are becoming more and more ridiculous, a stargate, seriously?"

Well that is the advertising trick right there, just like the Mac vs. PC guy commercials you put some boring looking crazy office clerk up on the stage to create the illusion that who isn't like him knows for sure that the LHC is safe. By showing this kind of nutcase nobody is going to be critical about the LHC because who wants to be associated with that. While in fact the media should report about frequency & density and how UHECRs fall in the same region as the collisions in the LHC, and aren't of a magnitude far beyond 12Tev, that kind of cool stuff. If people would be shown these numbers they might get doubtful, so better play it safe and present some religious AND star-gate character to play the part of the opposition.

Image
but as I pointed out in another post, Mr Hawking was talking about the Higgs Potential, not the Boson
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all

User avatar
chelle
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:32 am
Location: XL - BXL - B

Re: got two news stories

Post by chelle » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:42 am

draph91 wrote:but as I pointed out in another post, Mr Hawking was talking about the Higgs Potential, not the Boson
Sure le Stéphane talks about the Higgs Potential, it was this post:

Stephen Hawking god-particle may wipe out the universe

What is your point?
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

draph91
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: got two news stories

Post by draph91 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:15 pm

chelle wrote:
draph91 wrote:but as I pointed out in another post, Mr Hawking was talking about the Higgs Potential, not the Boson
Sure le Stéphane talks about the Higgs Potential, it was this post:

Stephen Hawking god-particle may wipe out the universe

What is your point?
:doh:

my point is you're kinda mixed up
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all

User avatar
chelle
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:32 am
Location: XL - BXL - B

Re: got two news stories

Post by chelle » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:04 am

draph91 wrote:my point is you're kinda mixed up
No, I'm not. I talk about the fact that they present an idiot talking about religion and Stargate to say that the LHC is a danger, while they don't mention the actual facts and numbers, which is more risqué.

Next you comment about Hawking talking about the Higgs potential ... so you start mixing things ... and when I ask about what's the point for you to do so ... you claim that I'm mixed up. Bravo :clap:
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

Post Reply