strangelets at the rhic ?

Discussion of the end of the world brought about by ultra high energy colliders.
tlegg

strangelets at the rhic ?

Post by tlegg » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:45 pm

http://www.scientificcomputing.com/news ... ge-baryons
so is this worth worrying about i mean for the rhic

draph91

Re: strangelets at the rhic ?

Post by draph91 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:19 pm

tlegg wrote:http://www.scientificcomputing.com/news ... ge-baryons
so is this worth worrying about i mean for the rhic
not really
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all

chelle

Re: strangelets at the rhic ?

Post by chelle » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:27 am

Thanks 'tlegg' this is interesting stuff.

Summerised:

"These baryons ... cannot be observed directly, but instead make their presence known by lowering the temperature at which other strange baryons "freeze out" from the quark-gluon plasma"

"It's similar to the way table salt lowers the freezing point of liquid water," said Mukherjee. "These 'invisible' hadrons are like salt molecules floating around in the hot gas of hadrons, making other particles freeze out at a lower temperature than they would if the 'salt' wasn't there."

The scientists ... uses points on an imaginary four-dimensional lattice to represent the positions of quarks and gluons ... "The calculations tell you where you have bound or unbound quarks, depending on the temperature,"

--

My question here is:

They are focusing on the plasma gas and how the 'salt-particles' affects the gas; now if you look at it from a wider angle, and see the Vacuum also as a gas, than what I'm wondering about is if all these 'salt-particles' created during the particle collisions, are also lowering the freezing point of the Vacuum/Higgs Field surrounding the collision point; or in other words, when you put some salt on your tongue you'll get thirsty :mrgreen: so salt can also be heating the more global collision area ... and starting to warm up one specific point/area moving through space ... even towards a certain boiling point?

--

Edit: The LHC is sort of in a way, like one of these salt spraying trucks, with ever increasing luminosity cruising through space.

How much 'salt' can the Vacuum/Higgsfield take before it starts to heat up, including the matter that surrounds the collision point. Keep notice that the density & frequency is 10^9 higher at the LHC than the regular cosmic rays in Space with relatively seen just a pinch here and there.

Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich