70% strangelets???

Discussion of the end of the world brought about by ultra high energy colliders.
DarkDaniel

70% strangelets???

Post by DarkDaniel » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:53 am

Hi :D look what i found on the internet, anyone can say me if this is true?

http://cerntruth.wordpress.com/2011/12/ ... r-destiny/

http://cerntruth.wordpress.com/

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Re: 70% strangelets???

Post by CharmQuark » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:53 pm

Oh how I love Cerntruth :lol:

They are one the biggest scaremongering sites out there about our awesome machine.....Wouldn't listen to a word they have to say to be honest.
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

draph91

Re: 70% strangelets???

Post by draph91 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:21 pm

yeah also the so called leaked documents are actually documents that are available to the public

from a poster on 2012hoaxs (not sure if it's still active)

Just a really quick input here. The "leaked documents" that Sancho talks about is in fact documents that are available to the public. He claims that CERN lies because they state that Strangelets are less probable to be produced in LHC than they was in the RHIC, while they indeed have a device named CASTOR. One of CASTORS many purposes is to detect Strangelets (Hence the S in CASTOR), but these Strangelets are nothing like the Strangelets that Sancho talks about. The Strangelets that might be produced in collisions at the LHC is harmless, and as close to non-existing as something can be (i.e. if, and that is a really big if, Strangelets can exist at all they will exist only for a pico-second or so).

Honestly, I think that there is a language barrier between us mere humans and CERN's super-scientists. When they talk about Strangelets they refer to clusters of u/d/s quarks, which really isn't all that fascinating, at least not to most people. We on the other hand, tend to overlook the science involved and just pick up all the fear-mongering stories in the media. When we hear the word Strangelet, we directly link it to some sort of doomsday scenario that has been thought up by people like Sancho and other lunatics, when in fact Strangelets are just as harmless as the microwaves in in your micro.

and another comment from another website

The idiots are those at the website. They are idiots because they have no idea what they are talking about and disseminate their 1/4 baked ideas about what they are reading.

The claim is that the "leaked" documents say there is a 65-70% chance of the LHC producing "negative strangelets".

The documents say no such thing. The "leaked" documents are about the capabilities of the CASTOR detector. What is said is that theoretically CASTOR is able to detect 60-70% of "exotic" decay products produced by any high energy collision (cosmic rays or otherwise). What is said is that theoretically CASTOR is able to detect 10% of stranglets produced.

There is nothing said about LHC producing strangelets.

Idiots. There I said it again.
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all