Higgs could be found before Christmas!

The place to discuss particle physics
CharmQuark
Site Admin

Higgs could be found before Christmas!

Post by CharmQuark » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:29 pm

Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

LarryS

Re: Higgs could be found before Christmas!

Post by LarryS » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:46 pm

While your intentions are most honorable, I think, in my humble opinion, that your punctuation is not quite correct. As I see the world (at the Quantum level) the statement should read:

“Good times! Maybe?”

For I am still not sure that the Higgs is really there.

And should my last statement be wrong, then I would be most pleased ...

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:11 pm

I do the first post in months and you pick up on my punctuation feel kind of stupid now :)

Anyway hope you liked the article.
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru

Post by DCWhitworth » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:43 am

LarryS wrote:While your intentions are most honorable, I think, in my humble opinion, that your punctuation is not quite correct. As I see the world (at the Quantum level) the statement should read:

“Good times! Maybe?”

For I am still not sure that the Higgs is really there.

And should my last statement be wrong, then I would be most pleased ...
I think, in my humble opinion your final statement is wrong, it should read "And should my penultimate statement be wrong" :P

p.s. Don't pick on Charms or you'll get trouble ! :violence-smack:
DC

The LHC - One ring to rule them all !

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:11 am

Good article - I'm curious as to what happens next.

DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru

Post by DCWhitworth » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:28 am

Stephen wrote:Good article - I'm curious as to what happens next.
Not much I fear. One of the slightly worrying aspects of the LHC is that they really don't seem to be finding much. They are certainly making progress in the sense that they are ruling out a lot of theories but there doesn't really seem to be anything majorly new.
DC

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:36 pm

Then I guess it would be tough for scientists to convince their governments that future accelerators are necessary.

DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru

Post by DCWhitworth » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:45 pm

Stephen wrote:Then I guess it would be tough for scientists to convince their governments that future accelerators are necessary.
Yes I felt that when the ASACUSA experiemnt proudly announced they had accurately weighed anti-protons to nine decimal places of accuracy . . and discovered it was exactly the same as the proton. You could imagine the raised eyebrows of people who were saying "You spent *how* much to discover that ?" :)
DC

LarryS

Post by LarryS » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:13 pm

What follows, for myself, my attached thumbprint, and my twin Renaissance Faire Avatars - is now honestly expressed in my best caricature:

Lady Charmed Quark,

Good morrow, and with all humble apologies, allow me to say that it was not my intention to bring any displeasure to yourself or to cast dispersions on the fine work you have done at this site. For my epistle on grammar structures, I deeply apologize; it was perhaps a brief moment of ego.

But with all due respect, my brash comments have caused a slight stirring among the, up to now, silent “posters.” Remember when a hundred comments a day were the norm; grandiose theories were put forth and those against rallied to the cause. Threats were made; positions were taken; lines were drawn. Now they have all fallen silent. However, my unjustified comments did unleash a brief and fully warranted, rash of scorn upon myself. Even so it was nice to see postings again and not the empty “view new posts” that have endured for so many months each morning when I click upon the icon.

Ah, but could we return to the old days and not the silence that The Portal now endures. Sometimes it takes a “sharp stick in the eye” to bring out the voice of the crowd. Please, all of you, KEEP POSTING and end this silence.

The Portal has a rich history; everyone go back and re-read all that come before and then add to this richness of comment.

Yours in service

Count Carpaccio d’Torino, Aristocrat and Philanderer

Older twin brother of Carpaccio d’Torino, Astronomer, Mathematician whose only contribution in 1652 was to fail at making an accelerator using lodestones … his brief moment of non-fame also shared by myself.

DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru

Post by DCWhitworth » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:56 pm

Well if I'd known you were that way inclined I'd have slapped you round the face and challenged you to a duel for impugning the honour of my liege lady.

:violence-smack:

:violence-stickwhack:
DC

chelle

Post by chelle » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:23 pm

LarryS wrote:
Yours in service

Count Carpaccio d’Torino, Aristocrat and Philanderer

Older twin brother of Carpaccio d’Torino, Astronomer, Mathematician …
Dear count di Torino,

You have exactly the same name as your twin brother, that can't be correct.

A reincarnation more likely?

Anyway you're always free to visit the End of The World and join the discussions over there.

Sincerely,

Chelle dei Miracoli
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

LarryS

Post by LarryS » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:19 pm

Sir Chelle, (or Lord, Duke, etc.)

My twin brother and I do have the exact same name; it was given to us by our birth mother for protection. Please let me explain ...

In 1652 (and for most of the previous few centuries) Italy was in a turmoil; each member of the family trying to get to the head of the “inheritance line.” Our mother was afraid that if she called one of us by the others name it might imply favoritism. So that an uncle, aunt, cousin, etc. did not take it upon themselves to “eliminate” the other she decided to give the both of us the exact same name. As a result she, and everyone else, could never be wrong thus nothing was ever implied.

The above is the official Renaissance Faire story. In reality I did not want to appear on Saturday and Sunday in the same garb. One day they see the Aristocrat in his purple doublet with weapons and on the other the Astronomer, Mathematician, and Scientist in his long scholars robes edged in gold for Science. This “twins with the same name” gives me a nice “gimmick” for Faire and I being an old man (retired physicist actually turning 70 the 18th of this month) only have to remember one name.
I also wanted my avatar’s name(s) to be a play on words. All the great Scientists of the period (Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, etc.) were known by just a single name with the birth town the other but it was seldom used. My rapier is reproduction (battle ready) of a 1650 Torino weapon thus the “d’Torino.” So now all I needed was a single, very Italian sounding word to be my first name. The appetizer section of my favorite Italian restaurant gave me the “play on words answer.” Buy the way, my personal physician/bodyguard Donna Bella is always at my side.

So much for the ramblings of an old man but I am happy that you caught the name conflict and gave me the reason for “spinning a fun tale.”

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:51 pm

LarryS wrote:
Lady Charmed Quark,

Good morrow, and with all humble apologies, allow me to say that it was not my intention to bring any displeasure to yourself or to cast dispersions on the fine work you have done at this site. For my epistle on grammar structures, I deeply apologize; it was perhaps a brief moment of ego.
No harm done Larry ;) least I can still make an impression hehe :thumbup:

chelle

Post by chelle » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:24 pm

Dear Count d'Torino,

Your clarification is much appriciated, and if i may speak freely; your style, duality and costume apearences come to me across as a 17th century Clark Kent.

Regarding my own name there is no tittle ... just chelle man of the people, friend of the stars.

So you're spending your last day's as a 69'er it will be cool to have a 7 as the first number it looks like a 1 all young again, have fun!

grtz,

Chelle dei Miracoli
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

Harbles
LHCPortal Guru

Post by Harbles » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Perhaps not so much found as not unfound.

A presentation Yesterday titled " The ATLAS+CMS Higgs Combination:
where physics and statistics meet "

http://indico.cern.ch/getFile.py/access ... fId=100458

And some analysis http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/breakin ... earch-yet/
And http://profmattstrassler.com/articles-a ... -combined/

So glass half empty or half full? (poor metaphore https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Vmsc ... qbj9bf.jpg )
A non result is exiting because it means the standard model is not quite correct and something unanticipated is happening. It also means it may take up to a decade to collect sufficient data to search for a non standard model Higgs.

Interesting times.