Higgs aether

The place to discuss particle physics
drsnooker

Higgs aether

Post by drsnooker » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:29 pm

This is probably is pretty dumb question, but do physicists expect the formation of the higgs boson to depend on the location of the earth in its orbit around the sun?

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Re: Higgs aether

Post by chriwi » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:09 am

can you pleas explain why there could be any dependency.
If not why then this question?
I think its not leading to anything to question dependencies of anything to anything else without having a rugh idea why the one could influence the other.
bye

chriwi

drsnooker

Post by drsnooker » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:45 pm

I thought they (Michelson and Morley) disproved the luminiferous aether because they couldn't find a difference in the speed of light based on the location of the earth in its orbit.

If the Higgs field is similar to the original "aether" would you expect it to change during the year?

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:22 pm

Ok, I got your point.
Its sure an interesting question, but as far as I understand the topic the higgs field wou8ldnt show thees effects proclaimed and disprooved by Micleson etc.
bye

chriwi

drsnooker

Post by drsnooker » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:14 am

Thanks Chriwi. Do you know if they could even see the difference or is the data binned in such away that removes all time stamps?

chelle

Post by chelle » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:44 pm

The big question now is if the higgs boson is a Scalar boson, this would mean the the Higgs-field is not like a Magnetic-field and it would be unrelated or dependent to any direction, you could than think of it as a pressure field in an aquarium.

btw Einstein already reintroduced Aether when he came up with General Relativity, it only didn't afect light. Here are some quotes from him:

“Thus, once again ,,empty” space appears as endowed with physical properties, i.e., no longer as physically empty, as seemed to be the case according to Special Relativity. One can thus say that the Aether is resurrected in the General theory of Relativity, though in a more sublimated form.”

A. Einstein, Grundgedanken und Methoden der Relativitatstheorie in ihrer Entwicklung dargestellt, (Morgan Manuscript) Einstein Archives 2070.

--

“According to the general theory of relativity, space without ether is unthinkable; for in such space, not only would there be no propagation of light, but also no possibility of existence for standards of space and time (measuring rods and clocks), nor therefore any space-time intervals in the physical sense.”

A. Einstein, Aether und Relativitaetstheorie, Berlin: Verlag von J. Springer, 1920.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich