LHC will find God Particle by end of the year.

The place to discuss particle physics
Post Reply
User avatar
CharmQuark
Site Admin
Posts: 1476
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:22 am
Location: Berwick-Upon-Tweed (UK)

LHC will find God Particle by end of the year.

Post by CharmQuark » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:18 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/hay- ... -year.html

For the first time the LHC will also be opened to the public, who will be allowed to walk through the underground tunnel that straddles the French-Swiss border. Of course this is what I am looking forward to I will be able to do what I have been waiting 3 years to do :D good times!!!! :dance:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

chli
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:55 am

Re: LHC will find God Particle by end of the year.

Post by chli » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:33 pm

CharmQuark wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/hay- ... -year.html

For the first time the LHC will also be opened to the public, who will be allowed to walk through the underground tunnel that straddles the French-Swiss border. Of course this is what I am looking forward to I will be able to do what I have been waiting 3 years to do :D good times!!!! :dance:
Hi CQ...

I don't think they will announce the result soon.. since I think we still more data to proof it even though it seems like they "find" it on 125GeV but.. since this is SCIENCE then I think absolute data is important.

User avatar
CharmQuark
Site Admin
Posts: 1476
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:22 am
Location: Berwick-Upon-Tweed (UK)

Re: LHC will find God Particle by end of the year.

Post by CharmQuark » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:00 pm

chli wrote:
Hi CQ...

I don't think they will announce the result soon.. since I think we still more data to proof it even though it seems like they "find" it on 125GeV but.. since this is SCIENCE then I think absolute data is important.
Chli :thumbup:

To be honest I am one of the people who are hoping they don't find it ;) I think it woud be so much more fun and excited if they didn't or even if they found something completely unexpected :mrgreen:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

User avatar
DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru
Posts: 580
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:13 am
Location: Norwich, UK

Re: LHC will find God Particle by end of the year.

Post by DCWhitworth » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:19 am

There will be two issues here, firstly will they have a good enough result, secondly can they be sure it is the Higgs ?

From the things I'm hearing the first answer will be 'near enough', a result of 4.5 sigma plus possibly higher.

The second question is much tougher. Can they be *sure* what they are seeing is the Higgs ? They are operating in a very difficulty area where the background is high and lots of other processes get in the way.

I'm pretty sure you won't see CERN bouncing up and down saying "We've found it !" tomorrow, even with a 5+ sigma result.
DC

The LHC - One ring to rule them all !

chli
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:55 am

Re: LHC will find God Particle by end of the year.

Post by chli » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:40 pm

CharmQuark wrote:
chli wrote:
Hi CQ...

I don't think they will announce the result soon.. since I think we still more data to proof it even though it seems like they "find" it on 125GeV but.. since this is SCIENCE then I think absolute data is important.
Chli :thumbup:

To be honest I am one of the people who are hoping they don't find it ;) I think it woud be so much more fun and excited if they didn't or even if they found something completely unexpected :mrgreen:
Hi CQ

hahaha.. we are at the same boat then ;p since I personally don't believe higgs boson exist! That's why I always pay attention to the progress of LHC machine whether they can really proof it SCIENTIFICALLY.

User avatar
CharmQuark
Site Admin
Posts: 1476
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:22 am
Location: Berwick-Upon-Tweed (UK)

Re: LHC will find God Particle by end of the year.

Post by CharmQuark » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:07 pm

Does this mean you will be watching tomorrow morning??? it should be interesting if nothing else :thumbup: I will be so excited tonight that I will probably not sleep much haha.
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

User avatar
DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru
Posts: 580
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:13 am
Location: Norwich, UK

Re: LHC will find God Particle by end of the year.

Post by DCWhitworth » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:19 pm

CharmQuark wrote:Does this mean you will be watching tomorrow morning??? it should be interesting if nothing else :thumbup: I will be so excited tonight that I will probably not sleep much haha.
I'll. Be watching on my newly installed 50 Mb link ;-)
DC

The LHC - One ring to rule them all !

User avatar
CharmQuark
Site Admin
Posts: 1476
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:22 am
Location: Berwick-Upon-Tweed (UK)

Re: LHC will find God Particle by end of the year.

Post by CharmQuark » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:05 pm

DCWhitworth wrote: I'll. Be watching on my newly installed 50 Mb link ;-)
Hehehe good good :thumbup: it is rather exciting eh??? :dance:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

User avatar
photino
LHCPortal Guru
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:28 am

Re: LHC will find God Particle by end of the year.

Post by photino » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:52 am

Didn't even have to wait till the end of the year :^)

Post Reply