Current Events Discussion

The place to discuss the LHC. Commissioning, operation, issues, events ....
mrgumby

Re: Current Events Discussion

Post by mrgumby » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:43 am

Sidetracks are wonderful things.....if we only ever follow the main track we miss all the new and interesting stuff.
That ties right in with what we were saying about discovery and exploration...... :thumbup:

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:47 am

well in that case this pleases me :D
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:16 am

mrgumby wrote:Why do we need to spend huge amounts of money on the LHC when we could spend it on Starving Children/Cancer Research etc?
And why should we spend more money on starving children if these money are mostly quietly transferred to more weapon purchases?
And why should we spend more money on cancer research? Amounts spent on that are already bigger than what we spend on LHC.
Particle research brought us electricity, radio, television, computers and internet. And many more. Even the cancer research at current level would be impossible without these results. There's no reason to stop it.

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:43 am

It is also too simple to say, only money spend for a certain cause would solve all problems. Maney mainly regulates the distribution of goods and manpower, but spending the amount of money used for the LHC would not automatically create more food in the countries of the starving children it would rather redirect the food to other persons, with some good luck we get less starving but more almost-sarving childeren then. And in the end it will not solve the problem religion has with birthcontrol, son no matter how much money is spent there the poroblem will come back some time later as long as the thinking of the people is not changing.
I also don't belive that people who want to be scientists, engineers and industrialworkers (making the stuff for LHC) could be persuaded to go to africa and feed hungry children or teach their parents (education is more important than giving them food) by paying them the same money they are earning now working for the LHC, many people just don't like to leave their homecountry and sending money or gigant ships full of food would not solve the problem, but rather interfere with the local food production making the people even more dependent on food import.
bye

chriwi

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:18 am

Kasuha wrote:
mrgumby wrote:Why do we need to spend huge amounts of money on the LHC when we could spend it on Starving Children/Cancer Research etc?
And why should we spend more money on starving children if these money are mostly quietly transferred to more weapon purchases?
And why should we spend more money on cancer research? Amounts spent on that are already bigger than what we spend on LHC.
Particle research brought us electricity, radio, television, computers and internet. And many more. Even the cancer research at current level would be impossible without these results. There's no reason to stop it.

Please do not quote me out of context. :naughty:

My post is quite clear that I have been asked this question and that I am supplying an answer to it.

My answer is (if you take the time to read it) 1. We need more knowledge. 2. The LHC is one way we can get more knowledge.

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:21 am

chriwi wrote:It is also too simple to say, only money spend for a certain cause would solve all problems. Maney mainly regulates the distribution of goods and manpower, but spending the amount of money used for the LHC would not automatically create more food in the countries of the starving children it would rather redirect the food to other persons, with some good luck we get less starving but more almost-sarving childeren then. And in the end it will not solve the problem religion has with birthcontrol, son no matter how much money is spent there the poroblem will come back some time later as long as the thinking of the people is not changing.
I also don't belive that people who want to be scientists, engineers and industrialworkers (making the stuff for LHC) could be persuaded to go to africa and feed hungry children or teach their parents (education is more important than giving them food) by paying them the same money they are earning now working for the LHC, many people just don't like to leave their homecountry and sending money or gigant ships full of food would not solve the problem, but rather interfere with the local food production making the people even more dependent on food import.

My post is quite clear that I have been asked this question and that I am supplying an answer to it.

My answer is (if you take the time to read it) 1. We need more knowledge. 2. The LHC is one way we can get more knowledge.

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:07 am

Sorry, I did not quote your answer because I have no problems with it - I only wanted to give my answer to the question and it seemed to be straightforward to quote the question to put things in context. There was no harm intended. Maybe I should have included a bit of preceding text though.

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:14 am

Kasuha wrote:Sorry, I did not quote your answer because I have no problems with it - I only wanted to give my answer to the question and it seemed to be straightforward to quote the question to put things in context. There was no harm intended. Maybe I should have included a bit of preceding text though.
No worries....I'm probably a bit too sensitive... :oops:

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:11 pm

Group Hug :romance-grouphug:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

LarryS

Post by LarryS » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:49 pm

I don't understand this "Group Hug"

If the Strong Force brings them together ... how can the then separate again?

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:52 pm

LarryS wrote:I don't understand this "Group Hug"

Larry :roll:

DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru

Post by DCWhitworth » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:36 pm

LarryS wrote:I don't understand this "Group Hug"

The Weak Farce is responsible. :laughing-rolling:
DC

The LHC - One ring to rule them all !

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:41 pm

Yeah what DC said :whistle:

mrgumby

Post by mrgumby » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:39 am

May the farce be with you.... :happy-smileygiantred:

LarryS

Post by LarryS » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:50 pm

No, No, No, it is "date" based:

May the 4th ... be with you