Dashboard tune plots seem... out of tune?

The place to discuss the LHC. Commissioning, operation, issues, events ....
Xezlec

Dashboard tune plots seem... out of tune?

Post by Xezlec » Sun May 29, 2016 11:53 pm

Watching the LHC dashboard lately, I notice that the "tune" plots usually show the dots right on the lines. I thought the lines represented resonances they aren't supposed to hit. So why are they parked on them most of the time? Anyone know?

Xezlec

Re: Dashboard tune plots seem... out of tune?

Post by Xezlec » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:41 am

I think this may have had something to do with it (page 7): https://indico.cern.ch/event/506413/con ... 016_EB.pdf

mfb

Post by mfb » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:23 am

The red line is not as problematic as the other lines (it just means horizontal and vertical tune are the same). If it hits one of the other lines, I don't think they can keep the beam.

Xezlec

Post by Xezlec » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:27 pm

mfb wrote:The red line is not as problematic as the other lines (it just means horizontal and vertical tune are the same).
Really? I can't find it now, but I thought I read somewhere that the red line represented a "more subtle type of resonance", though whatever I was reading didn't elaborate beyond that.

Tau
LHCPortal Guru

Post by Tau » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:01 am

mfb wrote:The red line is not as problematic as the other lines (it just means horizontal and vertical tune are the same). If it hits one of the other lines, I don't think they can keep the beam.
It is not as hard as you think. The red line indicates where horizontal and vertical tunes are the same. That means that if there is any coupling between the oscillations in the two directions (which is unavoidable), the oscillations in the two directions may influence each other, so that resonances in one direction may cause trouble in the direction.
So that line is also better not be crossed.
- Tau