What do the displays mean ?

New users should check this forum first. Say hi.
Xymox
Site Admin

Re: What do the displays mean ?

Post by Xymox » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:38 am

I suggested to the experiments last year there was keen interst in the live data. CMS/ATLAS/LHCb all said they agreed to make better live data avaliable to the public. ATLAS did a awesome job and their web site saw a major upgrades to do this right away. They had to put stuff on a public facing server. LHCb went live with a awesome event display right away. CMS did all sorts of great updates..

They all said they had a plan and this would happen. They liked the LHCPortal. From almost day 1 CERN has made a lot of use of the portal. RIGHT at the beginning, some hours after I first put up the portal site, i sent email to a bunch of internal CERN addresses announcing it and also asking if the links were ok. I saw the portal web stats go crazy as everyone at CERN sent each other the link saying "look at this" and some of the internal email lists were hit by it and everybody saw that...

It went viral at CERN...

My first 2 days was almost 100% CERN. I lot of IP's. Also TONS of access from the area around CERN and from countries who do contract work for CERN.. Then universities connected to CERN..

I think everybody at CERN liked it. This access is still a big part of the 2000 IP's ( people ) a day we get on this site. So they see all of us really liking all this live data and they see the value in giving us all these cool tools to watch..

Back to the top of my message, I have no idea what is going on with ALICE cuz I never heard from them :(

With all these new VISTARS and stuff we need to redo this link.. Danny, we need some of your magic with tthe vistars.. http://www.lhcportal.com/Portal/how_to_ ... portal.htm

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Post by chriwi » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:12 am

Hi chris,

do I get you wrong or what is about the livecollisiondisplay of Alice? Rather of CMS I did not see any live display until now.
Or did I get something mixed up?
bye

chriwi

Harbles
LHCPortal Guru

Post by Harbles » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:18 pm

The LHC_Coordination page is getting more detailed.
http://vistar-capture.web.cern.ch/vista ... 8696113825

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Mon May 31, 2010 10:56 am

Welcome to the happy place :thumbup:

It's good to have you here with us :D
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

amiso

Post by amiso » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:57 am

HI,
in the CMS display one sees "SM stream". What would SM mean?

Thanks

snavin

Post by snavin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:59 pm

Xymox wrote:This layout shows the points along the LHC we see referenced in the Vistars and in comments.

Hi,

could you please tell me where I can get a high resolution version of this image to put in my thesis?

Thanks,

Sparsh

PenguinD

Post by PenguinD » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:42 am

amiso wrote:HI,
in the CMS display one sees "SM stream". What would SM mean?

Thanks
SM stands for "Storage Manager". As data leaves the detector and is processed in real time, it is the last link in the chain before the data leaves the online world and is transferred offline for further processing.
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2010JPhCS.219b2038B

albaalica

Post by albaalica » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:39 pm

large hadron collider full forum LHC..?

gilgamorph

Post by gilgamorph » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:33 am

I was curious about the Integrated/h value listed on the LHC dashboard page.

Would this be the (actual) trailing hour, the current luminosity multiplied out to an hour, or (extrapolated) a projection given current decay rates ?

DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru

Post by DCWhitworth » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:08 am

gilgamorph wrote:I was curious about the Integrated/h value listed on the LHC dashboard page.

Would this be the (actual) trailing hour, the current luminosity multiplied out to an hour, or (extrapolated) a projection given current decay rates ?
I think it is just the current luminosity expressed per hour. Looking at the figure on the Luminosity page, which is expressed per second, and multiplying by 360 I guess that is the answer.
DC

The LHC - One ring to rule them all !

gilgamorph

Post by gilgamorph » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:22 pm

thanks for the reply. I'm not so sure about the instantaneous x 3600.

fill 2736 showed Atlas: 6107.8 instantaneous (x3600=20.2/pb)
...........................22.9 integrated/h

--------------------CMS: 5997.7 instantaneous (x3600=21.6/pb)
...........................21.8 integrated/h

this was not long after stable beams so it's not trailing hour or projected hour and it doesn't seem to be current*3600 either.

one thing that may be screwing up our analysis is all the wire scans that are interrupting data taking.

123e443

Post by 123e443 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:30 pm