Hi, just been introduced to the site

New users should check this forum first. Say hi.
aldohiggins

Hi, just been introduced to the site

Post by aldohiggins » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:34 pm

learning as I go but certainly appreciated the insider's view.

Al

ojobson

Re: Hi, just been introduced to the site

Post by ojobson » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:39 pm

As am I - love the access provided by the portal, and I have a basic understanding of what's going on, but I have no idea what the pics on LHC1 vistar are about and almost everything on LHC_operation is way over my head!

Can anyone shed any light?

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:36 am

Yea... Im mostly in the same boat..

Its a issue. As its really the first time the beam is circulating its the first time many of these things have been displayed.

Page 1 changes. It has a bunch of modes. It can display all sorts of things. Its currently displaying a sort of setup screen. The 4 windows are alignment screen. Normally they show a dot, which is the beam, in the tube. Up and down is up and down in the tube, L/R is L/R. Color is intensity.. They can choose any 4 locations from anywhere along the beam. This allows them to see the beam and align it to be centered in the tube. However im not sure what is going on with the ones they are showing now. There is no dot !?! Normally those screen are all blue/green with a bright red dot close to center..

The numeric stuff close to the top like "BCT TI8" is the luminosity or power of the beam. 8 refers to the position along the ring. They can choose these to display. Blue is beam 1 and red is beam 2.

the E: at the top of the screen is the power its set to. Not the measured power.

I dont know exactly what the SMP flags are in the lower right corner. What they say seems to be what they are.

As far as the Status Op page goes. yea... tuff one..

Luminosity is the measured power of the beam.

I dont understand background, BKGD

I am working on a page that trys to explain this stuff..

I will put up a thread specifically on this..

rocket

Post by rocket » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:05 am

Firstly, I'd like to say hi, from Australia.

I have been keeping up to date on the LHC via the main site, but info is all over the place it seems. And the LHC News site is a bit slow even though at one point it was said it would have updates every two weeks.

I've just discovered this site/forum and will cruise around over the next week or so picking up what I can.

And how did I get here? From here..... http://lhc-commissioning.web.cern.ch/lhc-commissioning Have to thank Mike Lamont I guess. :-)

Anyhow, off to browse around.

Cheers.

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:13 am

Aaaa yes....

That was quite the funny moment at the time.. There was quite a bit of email and stuff going on. Then suddenly there I was on the log...

It was pretty funny..

Yes I thanked Mike minutes after the posting..

WELCOME aboard !!!

Have fun... If you see something interesting make sure to post here about it..