Hello from Canada

New users should check this forum first. Say hi.
CrunchBerries

Hello from Canada

Post by CrunchBerries » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:13 pm

Good day!

I've been following the LHC experiments for a few years. I've been patiently waiting for the higher energy collision experiments to begin, and highly anticipate their results.

I wish I could be part of this in some way. Becoming a physicist wasn't even in the vocabulary of my school when I grew up, so I opted for an engineering trade.

I'm 32 years old now, so I would be a late bloomer into physics, but I think I can one day become a physicist. It would be amazing.

Looking forward to hanging out with you guys on here, hopefully you don't get annoyed with my n00b questions..

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by CharmQuark » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:19 pm

Hey crunch :D

welcome to out little corner of the internet!

I've been following the LHC since it got switched on back in 2008, I was so scared of the whole thing that I couldn't sleep, eat or even go about normal life lol.

Then I found this place in 2009 :D best find I have found on the net! I knuckled down and with the help of some fantastic guys I very slowly started to learn basic physics and over the years I'm surprised at how much I have actually learned lol.

I wish you well on your journey to become a physicist :D I just want to be a tea lady in the CCC ;)
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

CrunchBerries

Post by CrunchBerries » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:29 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, I would love to take a tour at CERN, but I would like to take a physics degree first so I can fully appreciate it's entirety.

pcatom
LHCPortal Guru

Post by pcatom » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:46 pm

CrunchBerries wrote:Good day!

I've been following the LHC experiments for a few years. I've been patiently waiting for the higher energy collision experiments to begin, and highly anticipate their results.

I wish I could be part of this in some way. Becoming a physicist wasn't even in the vocabulary of my school when I grew up, so I opted for an engineering trade.

I'm 32 years old now, so I would be a late bloomer into physics, but I think I can one day become a physicist. It would be amazing.

Looking forward to hanging out with you guys on here, hopefully you don't get annoyed with my n00b questions..
Hi Crunch the LHC and the detectors are actually principally an engineering challenge to build and operate. Most people at CERN are engineers and technicians.

.. Of course you would need a PhD in theoretical particle physics to fully interpret the results but to run the machine, give me an engineer any day!