Earthquakes

Anything can be discussed, tempers may flare.
This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site.

Moderator: CharmQuark

Forum rules
Any controversial topic can be discussed. Freedom of expression is encouraged. The scientific validity of things posted in this forum may stray from reality quite wildly and the reader is advised to keep that in mind. Please refrain from bad language and DO NOT get overly abusive with other members. You MUST post in English. It is OK to have fiercely intense debate. This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site. The views here do not represent the forum's views or my views in any way. It is meant as a place to debate or discuss subjects that may create heated debate. Almost no moderation will occur in this forum at all.
CharmQuark
Site Admin

Re: Earthquakes

Post by CharmQuark » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:17 pm

Did you know that the Japanese earthquake has been upgraded to a 9 mag? personally i don't think the LHC has anything to do with earthquakes at the time these earhquakes happened we was not colliding or anything, and as for black holes none were found last year so unless they found something else thats made everything wonkie and out of sync there is no connection just my thoughts though ;)
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

chelle

Post by chelle » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:15 pm

nonvertical muon wrote:... I have been researching antipodes in relation to all these disasters ... I'm doing more investigating.
You might want to check out the fact that most of the stuff doesn't go through the earth. Something that has been discovered by the Super Kamiokande detector in Japan, check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrino_oscillation (Atmospheric neutrino oscillation)

That doesn't mean that perhaps we're spicing up things that has an effect on the other site etc. but in my mind you could also look at the change of seasons ... and I thought that there is a buildup of years to get this type of friction going ...

anyway, good luck with your further research,

grtz,

chelle
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru

Post by DCWhitworth » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:18 am

Sorry, it all happened when I cut my toenails. I'll be more careful in future.
DC

The LHC - One ring to rule them all !

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:55 am

DCWhitworth wrote:Sorry, it all happened when I cut my toenails. I'll be more careful in future.
LOL :clap:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

hyllisha

Post by hyllisha » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:07 am

Did the Japanese earthquake and tsunami hit Tokyo? What buildings or structures were not demolished? What buildings or structures in Tokyo (or where it hit if it didn't hit Tokyo) were demolished because of the earthquake and tsunami? If it hit Tokyo then i already have the Nintendo building.

hitchcat

Post by hitchcat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:25 pm

I think it's a good time to discus this again... DCWhitworth, did you cut your toenails again?

Another Year, another LHC run, another week, another heavy Earthquake(s)

I've been just surfing, following several links, met this Site http://cerntruth.wordpress.com/2011/12/ ... -universe/ I don't want to discus what you think about the Source only about the facts, and the possibilities.

Thank you in advance for a mature and open discussion.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu May 03, 2012 9:30 pm

What our dear friend Luis Sancho wrote, are not facts.

"We registered the two strongest Earthquakes ever outside a fault line. Yet earthquakes outside fault lines can only have human causes, NOT geological ones."

This is simply rubbish. If he had bothered looking at the USGS site he would have known these 2 earthquakes are well accounted for.
The April 11, 2012, M8.6 and M8.2 earthquakes off the west coast of northern Sumatra, Indonesia, occurred as a result of strike-slip faulting within the oceanic lithosphere of the Indo-Australia plate. The quakes were located respectively 100 km and 200 km to the southwest of the major subduction zone that defines the plate boundary between the India/Australia and Sunda plates offshore Sumatra. At this location, the India/Australia plates move north-northeast with respect to the Sunda plate at a velocity of approximately 52 mm/yr.

Large strike-slip earthquakes are not unprecedented in the diffuse boundary region separating the India and Australia plates, southwest of the Sumatra subduction zone. Since the massive M 9.1 earthquake that ruptured a 1300 km long segment of the Sumatran megathrust plate boundary in December of 2004, three earlier large strike-slip events had occurred within 50 km of the first large April 11, 2012 event. These earthquakes occurred on April 19 2006 (Mw6.2), October 4 2007 (Mw6.2) and January 10, 2012 (Mw7.2). The focal-mechanisms of the three earlier earthquakes and the two great earthquakes of April 11, 2012, are consistent in implying that each earthquake could have occurred as the result of left-lateral slip on a north-northeast striking fault or right-lateral slip on a west-northwest striking fault. The two different orientations of strike-slip faulting are both possible under the same tectonic stress field; perpendicular strike-slip faults that are both compatible with the same stress field are called "conjugate faults". Possibly faults of both orientation have been involved in the recent earthquake activity.
source: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... a/#summary

Second, even though earthquakes outside fault lines are less frequent, they are not uncommon. In fact, this is a known phenomenon. The reasons for these earthquakes are not well known, but they are certainly not exclusive to man made causes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intraplate_earthquake

In addition, look at his only source. Since he chooses to believe their statement about the intensity of the earthquakes, why doesn't he agree with them that earthquakes are not on the increase? I don't see any other sources for his other absurd claims. Do you? But let me point you again in the direction of the USGS site. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... qstats.php

While it does seem at first that earthquakes magnitude 7-7.9 are on the increase, you have to remember the estimate of 17 earthquakes per year, is just that: an estimate. Of course there are going to be years with more earthquakes, just as there have been years with less earthquakes. It doesn't mean they are on the increase. Look at 2012, though. So far the number of these earthquakes is actually below average, for this time of the year. Just consult with any geologist you want. They are all going to claim the same thing: earthquake activity is well within the normal ranges.