Anti LHC, already proven wrong?

Anything can be discussed, tempers may flare.
This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site.

Moderator: CharmQuark

Forum rules
Any controversial topic can be discussed. Freedom of expression is encouraged. The scientific validity of things posted in this forum may stray from reality quite wildly and the reader is advised to keep that in mind. Please refrain from bad language and DO NOT get overly abusive with other members. You MUST post in English. It is OK to have fiercely intense debate. This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site. The views here do not represent the forum's views or my views in any way. It is meant as a place to debate or discuss subjects that may create heated debate. Almost no moderation will occur in this forum at all.
Shadowdraxx
LHCPortal Guru

Re: Anti LHC, already proven wrong?

Post by Shadowdraxx » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:35 pm

Kasuha wrote: I also wonder if the "anti-LHC" people will take their share of responsibility because the damage they did by their statements is in fact much bigger. As far as I know, at least one person commited suicide based on their statements and there is other damage caused by them.
After awhile I personally maybe looking into the liabilities of exactly these matters, but it might be hard to pin anyone down to particular things, in law at least.

As for Wagner, he *may* already be heading for jail on fraud charges.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Kasuha wrote: I don't see any "zero chance" mentioned here. If you want to take anybody accountable for their statements, please learn these statements first.
John Ellis repeatedly said that there was a zero percent chance. I don't remember mentioning the LSAG report in my previous comment, so why did you automatically assume I was talking about it? If you want to be condescending to other posters, please find out which statements they are referring to first.

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:44 pm

Stephen wrote:John Ellis repeatedly said that there was a zero percent chance.
John Ellis probably expressed his opinion but that does not count as common consensus. You wrote "physicists claim" and "they need to be held accountable for that statement", it doesn't really sound like you were talking about just one person.
If you have issues with John Ellis' statement, go ask him about what he meant by it. You cannot replace official statement with just one person's opinion though.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:07 pm

Kasuha wrote: John Ellis probably expressed his opinion but that does not count as common consensus. You wrote "physicists claim" and "they need to be held accountable for that statement", it doesn't really sound like you were talking about just one person.
Do you know what an example is? Other physicists claimed the same thing, but I'm not going to search the internet for the exact words of every single physicist in the world. I brought up John Ellis as an example. The experiment having no chance of destroying the world, is indeed the common consensus. You might want to look for other sources of information besides the LSAG report before jumping into conclusions.
Kasuha wrote:If you have issues with John Ellis' statement, go ask him about what he meant by it. You cannot replace official statement with just one person's opinion though.
I already did, and he stands behind this statement. By the way, you do know that John Ellis is one of the authors of the paper you quoted, right?

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:25 pm

There is no such thing as a zero percent chance of anything.. Maybe really improbable, but never zero. I believe there is math to back me up here ?
Everything happens for a reason and eventually turns out to be okay?

Nuclear weapons still have the potential to destroy the entire world.
Can you point out anything positive about the extreme regime in Iran?
Did the second world war help anyone?
How about 9\11?
Chernobyl?
Nuclear weapons have taught us about the horror of war. They have maybe even kept a war from occurring ? The science behind them has been useful. Its also hard to see the long term ( 1000 years ) outcome of the bomb. Maybe it will teach us a serious lesson. It sure seems to have taught you a serious lesson :)

Iran. Not completely sure yet. We are too close to the event in time. Its really more about religion. It might ultimately teach us something about how religion should not control a government. Thats a lesson for the US government as well in fact.

Second world war... Well again the lessons from it were numerous. Yes I think we learned a great deal from it.

9/11 had all sorts of positive effects. It may have kept a MUCH larger terrorist threat from occurring that would have killed MANY more people..

Chernobyl.. Taught us about how dangerous nuclear power really was. Helped cause the fall of the USSR.

Also your discussing things in a 50 year period.. Its just a tiny sliver of a 1000 year history. In a 1000 years the events your discussing may have resulted in changes we cant see now. They may have much different meanings with the passage of time..

Your examples are good ones. In each case the outcome would not have occurred without it being a very dramatic event. Sometimes dramatic events are needed to obtain a result.

YES I see all those events as having a good reason to have happened..

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:33 pm

Just because you can learn something from each event, it doesn't mean that there was a good reason for it to happen or that the outcome was positive. 60,000,000 people were killed and you claim it was worth it because it taught us a lesson? Not good enough. In 1000 years, me and everyone else currently in the world will be long dead. Therefore I could care less about the changes being made by that time. Deaths of millions of people have no justification, especially not in favor of something vague as the greater good.

There is absolutely nothing positive about nuclear weapons. 200,000+ Japanese probably didn't think there was anything remotely positive about them dying. The USSR would have fallen regardless of Chernobyl, since they were having many financial difficulties.

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:52 pm

Stephen wrote:In 1000 years, me and everyone else currently in the world will be long dead. Therefore I could care less about the changes being made by that time.
You mean, destroying the world the moment you die is OK?

Tell me:
If somebody showed you a button and told you that if you press it, you get one million dollars and the world will be destroyed 1000 years after you pressed it, would you press that button?

Xymox
Site Admin

Post by Xymox » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:38 pm

OooOoo.....

I would not... No doubt.. Money is like a drug. I feel it will corrupt you and cause misery. I also believe in "whats goes around comes around" and that applies to a 1000 years from now..

Somehow every event is connected in time.

So if I press that button, my life will become **** NO doubt for me...

But the question is, would pressing that button be destiny and would the world need to be destroyed in 1000 years ? And then would it be bad karma now ?

Hmmmmm.......

( gets really deep )

I say, take the ride... Enjoy it... Just avoid doing things where you get to learn lessons the hard way.

chelle

Post by chelle » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:21 am

Xymox wrote:But the question is, would pressing that button be destiny and would the world need to be destroyed in 1000 years ? And then would it be bad karma now ?

Hmmmmm.......

( gets really deep )

I say, take the ride... Enjoy it... Just avoid doing things where you get to learn lessons the hard way.
What if you pressed a button today, that caused matter to be bosonized, becoming highly charged. Generating a bosonic-gas that melts down all surrounding matter, creating a burning crater in the earth, that eats up the planet downwards to it's core, like some rotten disease ... causing to slowly suffocate all life, reversing the gentle build-up that has took part the last billion years ... destroying precious earth in a 1000 days.

Sorry, I'm just in a sinister mood today, and of course none of this is true, plain SFX. I was just trying to imagine how the button would work, and if it could be more efficient than first suggested, btw how does one test such a bouton?
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich