so what's next?

Anything can be discussed, tempers may flare.
This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site.

Moderator: CharmQuark

Forum rules
Any controversial topic can be discussed. Freedom of expression is encouraged. The scientific validity of things posted in this forum may stray from reality quite wildly and the reader is advised to keep that in mind. Please refrain from bad language and DO NOT get overly abusive with other members. You MUST post in English. It is OK to have fiercely intense debate. This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site. The views here do not represent the forum's views or my views in any way. It is meant as a place to debate or discuss subjects that may create heated debate. Almost no moderation will occur in this forum at all.
chli

so what's next?

Post by chli » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi All,

I am newbie in this forum. I followed CERN because of LHC experiments which I found interesting since their prime aim of this project is to find the so called "God particle." For all these years, I read all the information and update about the progressing of this machine. Eventhough the last time they're adding more energy to collide but still there is no further "answer" about the so called "God particle." If we daydream for awhile, lets say we found that particle so what's the next step?

chriwi
LHCPortal Guru

Re: so what's next?

Post by chriwi » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:13 pm

The Higgsboson is called godparticle for no other reason because its the last missing part of the standardmodel, confirming it means that the standardmodle is confirmed and a good picture of reality to a certain extent.
Iguess this would put the standardmodel on the same level like f.e. the theory of relativity and make it to a formula that can be used in tecnical development.
Besides being a little bit more sure to be doing it right once we use the standardmodel to solve some complex problem in everyday tecnics, it would not change really much.
And I for my person also dont belive that the standardmodel even if confirmd will remain the final step in physics that will answer all questions and nothing higher will come after. They already had that idea about 150 years ago when classical physics seemed kindof complete ..... than the whole thing of relativity and quantumphysics appeared. Maybe theese areas are also kindof completed with finding the Higgs and confirming the standardmodel, but I am sure there is still something new to apear.
bye

chriwi

Harbles
LHCPortal Guru

Post by Harbles » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:31 pm

Once 'Discovered' (Which I don't think will officially happen till the Fall and they get more data) They need to learn more about The Higgs and it's properties. The goal of the LHC is to collect 3000 fb-1 of data by 2030 ( they have about 13fb-1 now and should have 18 - 20 fb-1 by the next tech stop later this year) and that data should tell them much but not all about the properties of the Higgs Boson. However due to uncertainties over the precise energy in each collision a different type of machine would need to be used, a Lepton machine colliding electrons and positrons at higher energies than has yet to be achieved with that type of apparatus.
So as the LHC continues to collect data and under go improvements such as long stop one scheduled for most of 2013 to fix the splices and other things to get the energy up to the designed value of 7 Tev per beam as well as more planed improvements every few years work is proceeding to design and build the International Linear Collider ( http://www.linearcollider.org/ ).

Meanwhile some theorists are proceeding on the assumption that the Higgs is indeed found at a mass of 125 GeV and are working out what the implications of that are to the Standard model. See this talk from last january http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfSTvGMT ... plpp_video

chelle

Post by chelle » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:03 pm

Lately everyone (in the news) seems to be looking out for the 4th of July conference:

"The CERN research centre near Geneva will on July 4 unveil its latest findings in the search for the Higgs after reporting "tantalizing glimpses" in December."
http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/06/2 ... JS20120628
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

chli

Post by chli » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:16 pm

Chelle wrote:Lately everyone (in the news) seems to be looking out for the 4th of July conference:

"The CERN research centre near Geneva will on July 4 unveil its latest findings in the search for the Higgs after reporting "tantalizing glimpses" in December."
http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/06/2 ... JS20120628

Yeaaahh.. I know that for sure but hey I read a blog on http://www.quantumdiaries.org/lab-81/ I absolutely agree with his statement... we need to resist our temptation about the higgs (at the moment) since we still need more data to proof it.