Mental illness

Anything can be discussed, tempers may flare.
This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site.

Moderator: CharmQuark

Forum rules
Any controversial topic can be discussed. Freedom of expression is encouraged. The scientific validity of things posted in this forum may stray from reality quite wildly and the reader is advised to keep that in mind. Please refrain from bad language and DO NOT get overly abusive with other members. You MUST post in English. It is OK to have fiercely intense debate. This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site. The views here do not represent the forum's views or my views in any way. It is meant as a place to debate or discuss subjects that may create heated debate. Almost no moderation will occur in this forum at all.
draph91
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Mental illness

Post by draph91 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:56 pm

Chelle wrote:
draph91 wrote:you're right i know it's safe
Haha, you haven't got a clue now do you. :mrgreen:
no not really
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all

User avatar
CharmQuark
Site Admin
Posts: 1475
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:22 am
Location: Berwick-Upon-Tweed (UK)

Re: Mental illness

Post by CharmQuark » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:03 pm

I'm still watching :eh: :thumbup:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

User avatar
chelle
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:32 am
Location: XL - BXL - B

Re: Mental illness

Post by chelle » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:23 pm

CharmQuark wrote:I'm still watching :eh: :thumbup:
Just for those who don't know what milady looks like when she's watching:

Image
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

User avatar
CharmQuark
Site Admin
Posts: 1475
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:22 am
Location: Berwick-Upon-Tweed (UK)

Re: Mental illness

Post by CharmQuark » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:58 pm

Chelle wrote:
CharmQuark wrote:I'm still watching :eh: :thumbup:
Just for those who don't know what milady looks like when she's watching:

Image

LMAO!!!!!
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

draph91
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Mental illness

Post by draph91 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:44 pm

Chelle wrote:
CharmQuark wrote:I'm still watching :eh: :thumbup:
Just for those who don't know what milady looks like when she's watching:

Image
ahhh she stares into my soul! :scared-yipes:
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all

StrangeQuark
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Mental illness

Post by StrangeQuark » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:39 pm

draph91 wrote:
Chelle wrote:
CharmQuark wrote:I'm still watching :eh: :thumbup:
Just for those who don't know what milady looks like when she's watching:

Image
ahhh she stares into my soul! :scared-yipes:
Hahaha she looks like one of those goldfish LOL

Shes just a hand puppet, fingers poking her eyes out LOL

User avatar
CharmQuark
Site Admin
Posts: 1475
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:22 am
Location: Berwick-Upon-Tweed (UK)

Re: Mental illness

Post by CharmQuark » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:44 pm

StrangeQuark wrote:
Hahaha she looks like one of those goldfish LOL

Shes just a hand puppet, fingers poking her eyes out LOL
LMAO right I am gonna hide in the bushes my eyes are hurting from Danny's poking :axe: :ugeek: :oops: :auto-sportbike:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

User avatar
chelle
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:32 am
Location: XL - BXL - B

Re: Mental illness

Post by chelle » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:58 pm

StrangeQuark wrote: Hahaha she looks like one of those goldfish LOL
Uh like me?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestial_Eye

Image
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

User avatar
CharmQuark
Site Admin
Posts: 1475
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:22 am
Location: Berwick-Upon-Tweed (UK)

Re: Mental illness

Post by CharmQuark » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:28 pm

LMAO!!!!! ooking good Chelle :dance:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

Conundrum
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:16 pm

Re: Mental illness

Post by Conundrum » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:40 am

I seem to recall reading that Tesla had bipolar, OCD AND possibly some traits of ASD.

Also worth mentioning is that Einstein almost certainly had some brain abnormality associated with autism, they proved this conclusively but he may have made up the deficit because of the high number of glial cells to feed energy to the neurons.

User avatar
chelle
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:32 am
Location: XL - BXL - B

Re: Mental illness

Post by chelle » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:35 am

Conundrum wrote:I seem to recall reading that Tesla had bipolar, OCD AND possibly some traits of ASD.

Also worth mentioning is that Einstein almost certainly had some brain abnormality associated with autism, they proved this conclusively but he may have made up the deficit because of the high number of glial cells to feed energy to the neurons.
Same thing for Henry Cavendish and Paul Dirac:
http://www.newstatesman.com/society/201 ... m-autistic

I guess it proves that we are doomed with the LHC because only a nutcase will get the deeper insight of how dangerous the LHC and he will be put into a sanatorium and not believed.

Sort of like how Jor El wasn't believed in the 1st Superman movie ...
JOR-EL
(suddenly angry)
It's suicide! No, it's worse. It's genocide!

FIRST ELDER
(no longer friendly)
Be warned, Jor-El. The Council has already evaluated this outlandish theory of yours.

JOR-EL
My friends, you know me to be neither rash nor impulsive. I'm not given (starts walking) to wild, unsupported statements. And I tell you that we must evacuate this planet immediately!

FIRST ELDER
Jor-El, you are one of Krypton's greatest scientists...

SECOND ELDER
Ah, yes, but so is (gesturing) Vond-Ah.

VOND-AH
(comes forward, an elegant brown-haired woman of middle age. There is no House crest on her chest. She stares at the revolving intelligence source before looking to JOR-EL)
It isn't that I question your data. The facts are undeniable.

JOR-EL stares at her as VOND-AH walks around the intelligence source, and then smiles thinly at him.

VOND-AH
(gesturing at the intelligence source, but still looking at JOR-EL)
It's your conclusions I find unsupportable.

JOR-EL
(stares at VOND-AH as she comes to a halt before him)
This planet will explode within 30 days. If not sooner.

There is consternation again amongst the ELDERS.

VOND-AH
I tell you Krypton is simply shifting its orbit.

SECOND ELDER
(coming forward)
Jor-El, be reasonable.

JOR-EL
(coming forward to him)
My friend. (places his hands on the ELDER's shoulders) I have never been otherwise. This madness is yours.

FIRST ELDER
(snaps firmly)
This discussion is terminated. The decision of the Council is final.

There is a short pause. All the other ELDERS and VOND-AH gather together, standing away from JOR-EL.

FIRST ELDER
(to JOR-EL)
Any attempt by you to create a climate of fear and panic among the populace must be deemed by us an act of insurrection.

JOR-EL
(looks angry)
You would accuse me of insurrection? Has it now become a crime, to cherish life?

FIRST ELDER
You would be banished to endless imprisonment in the Phantom Zone - the eternal void, which you yourself discovered.

There is momentary silence. The FIRST ELDER maintains eye contact with JOR-EL.
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/movies/ ... transcript
Image
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

draph91
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Mental illness

Post by draph91 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:25 pm

chelle wrote:
Conundrum wrote:I seem to recall reading that Tesla had bipolar, OCD AND possibly some traits of ASD.

Also worth mentioning is that Einstein almost certainly had some brain abnormality associated with autism, they proved this conclusively but he may have made up the deficit because of the high number of glial cells to feed energy to the neurons.
Same thing for Henry Cavendish and Paul Dirac:
http://www.newstatesman.com/society/201 ... m-autistic

I guess it proves that we are doomed with the LHC because only a nutcase will get the deeper insight of how dangerous the LHC and he will be put into a sanatorium and not believed.

Sort of like how Jor El wasn't believed in the 1st Superman movie ...
JOR-EL
(suddenly angry)
It's suicide! No, it's worse. It's genocide!

FIRST ELDER
(no longer friendly)
Be warned, Jor-El. The Council has already evaluated this outlandish theory of yours.

JOR-EL
My friends, you know me to be neither rash nor impulsive. I'm not given (starts walking) to wild, unsupported statements. And I tell you that we must evacuate this planet immediately!

FIRST ELDER
Jor-El, you are one of Krypton's greatest scientists...

SECOND ELDER
Ah, yes, but so is (gesturing) Vond-Ah.

VOND-AH
(comes forward, an elegant brown-haired woman of middle age. There is no House crest on her chest. She stares at the revolving intelligence source before looking to JOR-EL)
It isn't that I question your data. The facts are undeniable.

JOR-EL stares at her as VOND-AH walks around the intelligence source, and then smiles thinly at him.

VOND-AH
(gesturing at the intelligence source, but still looking at JOR-EL)
It's your conclusions I find unsupportable.

JOR-EL
(stares at VOND-AH as she comes to a halt before him)
This planet will explode within 30 days. If not sooner.

There is consternation again amongst the ELDERS.

VOND-AH
I tell you Krypton is simply shifting its orbit.

SECOND ELDER
(coming forward)
Jor-El, be reasonable.

JOR-EL
(coming forward to him)
My friend. (places his hands on the ELDER's shoulders) I have never been otherwise. This madness is yours.

FIRST ELDER
(snaps firmly)
This discussion is terminated. The decision of the Council is final.

There is a short pause. All the other ELDERS and VOND-AH gather together, standing away from JOR-EL.

FIRST ELDER
(to JOR-EL)
Any attempt by you to create a climate of fear and panic among the populace must be deemed by us an act of insurrection.

JOR-EL
(looks angry)
You would accuse me of insurrection? Has it now become a crime, to cherish life?

FIRST ELDER
You would be banished to endless imprisonment in the Phantom Zone - the eternal void, which you yourself discovered.

There is momentary silence. The FIRST ELDER maintains eye contact with JOR-EL.
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/movies/ ... transcript
Image
well they're due to turn it on a little after 8.30 am (UK time)
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all

User avatar
chelle
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:32 am
Location: XL - BXL - B

Re: Mental illness

Post by chelle » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:39 pm

well they're due to turn it on a little after 8.30 am (UK time)
Still some time to go before its full speed ; )

best,

m.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

User avatar
Tau 2
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:17 pm
Location: Heemskerk

Re: Mental illness

Post by Tau 2 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:45 am

Hi folks! I am back.
I don't know if this is mentioned before, but I wonder why nobody edited the "LHC predictions" into the nice end-of-the-world predictions list in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_da ... tic_events
Maybe I am going to do that, if I find a neat professional way to put it.
From that list, ignoring the silly "blood moons" prediction for this year, we are safe until the high luminosity extension of the LHC :-)

Oh yes, and Ivan didn't update his page for years. Maybe he is out of ideas (the idea that he could be convinced the LHC is safe can be safely ignored).

BTW: beam is in the LHC _right now_ as I am writing this. Beam 2 just threaded, they are now optimizing the beam 1 trajectory.
And of course the world is not going to end.
Actually I do hope the LHC is going to produce black holes, because that would mean extra dimensions are found! They are going to be really hard to detect, and they will only know afterwards they were there, but the scientific value would be enormous. The run last year didn't have enough energy to make any, but this run might.

This article could help explaining what a black hole in the LHC actually means:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/don-linco ... 34296.html
- Tau

User avatar
DCWhitworth
LHCPortal Guru
Posts: 573
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:13 am
Location: Norwich, UK

Re: Mental illness

Post by DCWhitworth » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:31 am

chelle wrote:
Conundrum wrote:I seem to recall reading that Tesla had bipolar, OCD AND possibly some traits of ASD.

Also worth mentioning is that Einstein almost certainly had some brain abnormality associated with autism, they proved this conclusively but he may have made up the deficit because of the high number of glial cells to feed energy to the neurons.
Same thing for Henry Cavendish and Paul Dirac:
http://www.newstatesman.com/society/201 ... m-autistic

I guess it proves that we are doomed with the LHC because only a nutcase will get the deeper insight of how dangerous the LHC and he will be put into a sanatorium and not believed.
Speaking as someone with ADHD and depression I find your use of the word 'nutcase' to describe those whose brains work in a non-standard manner to be deeply insulting and sadly typical of the mainstream dismissal of mental issues that does so much harm to our society.

It may be that you were trying to be deliberately provocative, if so congratulations, you can consider me well and truly provoked.
DC

The LHC - One ring to rule them all !

Post Reply