Stefan Hansen repost for draph91

Anything can be discussed, tempers may flare.
This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site.

Moderator: CharmQuark

Forum rules
Any controversial topic can be discussed. Freedom of expression is encouraged. The scientific validity of things posted in this forum may stray from reality quite wildly and the reader is advised to keep that in mind. Please refrain from bad language and DO NOT get overly abusive with other members. You MUST post in English. It is OK to have fiercely intense debate. This forum has no connection with CERN, the LHC or my site. The views here do not represent the forum's views or my views in any way. It is meant as a place to debate or discuss subjects that may create heated debate. Almost no moderation will occur in this forum at all.
CharmQuark
Site Admin

Stefan Hansen repost for draph91

Post by CharmQuark » Mon May 14, 2012 8:02 pm

draph91 wrote:hey has anyone here ever heard of a man named Stefan Hansen

look at this article by him

http://readersupportednews.org/pm-secti ... -must-stop

also take a look at his website

http://www.hansensmag.net/
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

Kasuha

Re: Stefan Hansen repost for draph91

Post by Kasuha » Tue May 15, 2012 7:06 am

Why reposting this? That man makes no sense.
Let's put a spin to his proof - what is the chance you destroy the Earthy by hitting a rock with a hammer? According to his logic, the chance is non-zero and therefore hammers should be forbidden.

chelle

Post by chelle » Tue May 15, 2012 9:42 am

Kasuha wrote:Why reposting this? That man makes no sense.
haha, the repost is because 'draph91' posted this one in the "Mental illness" topic ... while this guy deserved a topic of his own.

btw he makes some sense, but a syllogism is not necessarily a water tight proof, as he wishes to claim:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syllogism# ... _Fallacies
Kasuha wrote:Let's put a spin to his proof - what is the chance you destroy the Earthy by hitting a rock with a hammer? According to his logic, the chance is non-zero and therefore hammers should be forbidden.
The question here is not to forbid the hammer, but the speed, power and frequency by which it is handled, one can see the LHC as two badass hammers knocking into each other. It is like driving a car, you can't forbid people driving one, but you can forbid them to drive too fast with the car, because in some cases it becomes a hazardous event.
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room.
Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann - Mary Schmich

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Tue May 15, 2012 12:19 pm

Chelle wrote:The question here is not to forbid the hammer, but the speed, power and frequency by which it is handled, one can see the LHC as two badass hammers knocking into each other. It is like driving a car, you can't forbid people driving one, but you can forbid them to drive too fast with the car, because in some cases it becomes a hazardous event.
I'm pretty sure hammer is the more dangerous one. There's just one LHC compared to millions of hammers all over the world constantly smashing all kinds of things. Domino effects caused by hammer hits are happening regularly so one of such kind which will destroy the planet is just matter of time.

Maybe even matches should be forbidden, because probability of a match igniting and burning Earth atmosphere is - by Mr. Hansen's definition - greater than zero. And you know how many matches are used every second? If we don't act now we're gonna burn!!!

draph91

Post by draph91 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:22 pm

I was wondering if he was another fearmonger or not, also CharmQuark please ask next time
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Tue May 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Sometimes I just can't do right for doing wrong, from now on I shall leave things the way they are :thumbup:
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted with large ones either by Albert Einstein.

chelle

Post by chelle » Wed May 16, 2012 11:16 am

Kasuha wrote:I'm pretty sure hammer is the more dangerous one. There's just one LHC compared to millions of hammers all over the world constantly smashing all kinds of things.
You don't read what I write, I pointed out that the lhc IS a hammer, only with a much brutal force than any other hammer on this planet. Yes there are cosmic rays but they aren't hitting continously with the same high frequency on the same spot.
Kasuha wrote:Maybe even matches should be forbidden, because probability of a match igniting and burning Earth atmosphere is - by Mr. Hansen's definition - greater than zero. And you know how many matches are used every second? If we don't act now we're gonna burn!!!
Here again, you shouldn't forbid regular matches, or one could bring up fire stones that create regular sparks. But one has to look out for a machine like the LHC that generates sparks that are far beyond what is normal. For a regular match the result = 0 for the LHC it is ≥0
draph91 wrote:I was wondering if he was another fearmonger or not, also CharmQuark please ask next time
What difference does it make if he's a fearmonger or not? Kasuha's friend Al Gore could be seen as one, and for a lot of people he makes sense. Anyway, you always should check multiple sources if you have doubts about what one person is saying and draw your own conclusions.

btw Charms's did a great job, she's the moderator here, and if you post stuff where it doesn't belong it is up to her to take care of that, she doesn't need to ask for your permission to do so.
CharmQuark wrote:Sometimes I just can't do right for doing wrong, from now on I shall leave things the way they are
Strange sentence, anyway good job of moving the post :thumbup:

Kasuha

Post by Kasuha » Wed May 16, 2012 12:45 pm

Chelle wrote:For a regular match the result = 0
According to Mr. Hansen there is no such thing as zero probability. You have just falsified his proof. Even worse, you have completely destroyed his mathematics system.

chelle

Post by chelle » Wed May 16, 2012 1:33 pm

Kasuha wrote:
Chelle wrote:For a regular match the result = 0
According to Mr. Hansen there is no such thing as zero probability. You have just falsified his proof. Even worse, you have completely destroyed his mathematics system.
Of course in Mr. Hansen 's world everything and anyone has the possibility to be a weapon of mass destruction, oh! did I just proved his point by destroying his point :shock:

draph91

Post by draph91 » Wed May 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Chelle wrote:What difference does it make if he's a fearmonger or not? Kasuha's friend Al Gore could be seen as one, and for a lot of people he makes sense. Anyway, you always should check multiple sources if you have doubts about what one person is saying and draw your own conclusions.
i did try and find information on this guy but no luck
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it - Agent K

You hear one doomsday prediction, you hear them all

CharmQuark
Site Admin

Post by CharmQuark » Wed May 16, 2012 5:33 pm

draph91 wrote:I was wondering if he was another fearmonger or not, also CharmQuark please ask next time
What difference does it make if he's a fearmonger or not? Kasuha's friend Al Gore could be seen as one, and for a lot of people he makes sense. Anyway, you always should check multiple sources if you have doubts about what one person is saying and draw your own conclusions.

btw Charms's did a great job, she's the moderator here, and if you post stuff where it doesn't belong it is up to her to take care of that, she doesn't need to ask for your permission to do so.
CharmQuark wrote:Sometimes I just can't do right for doing wrong, from now on I shall leave things the way they are
Strange sentence, anyway good job of moving the post :thumbup:[/quote]

Cheers Chelle ;)